FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hot looking video

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Colombatto
Hot looking video
on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:42:07 pm

I'm having a little bit of a problem with what I'm seeing in the view finder of my EX3 actually matching up with what I'm getting once imported to the computer. The image looks fine on the view finder (I am using zebra), but appears very hot and washed out once imported. I am shooting primarily basketball and hockey games, under arena lights, and the auto iris seems to back light the players from the illuminated playing surface.
Would a polarizing filter help this? Is there a setting in the Picture Profile menu that might help create more contrast and a richer color look under these shooting conditions.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Hot looking video
on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:47:28 pm

Start with monitor calibration. You won't know which ways is without it. Also scopes help.

If you don't blow out the whites or crush the blacks when you shoot, you'll have a little room to grade in post. In camera Zebra and Histogram are decent guides for that during the shoot.

Auto Iris, is a big fail if you're using that. Expose for the humans since their the focus. Color balance can be a problem in some gym like environments as some buy "whatever" to replace lights and they don't match each other. Also daylight in windows is another issue if they gym has windows.

Return to posts index

Joseph Colombatto
on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:53:26 pm

Thanks much.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:46:08 am

Joseph,

The how-to video at the link below will help you decide which gamma setting is right for the type of shooting you're doing, especially ice hockey because there's so much brightness in a shot like that.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]