FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I offload a portion of an SxS card?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Greiner
Can I offload a portion of an SxS card?
on Jan 8, 2012 at 2:25:28 pm

Here's the scenario: We have 2 long interviews scheduled, with a break in between. Shooter wants to put everything on one 64gb SxS card. (It will fit). If I offload the first interview during our break, then use the same card for the second interview (without clearing the card), can I then offload the second interview only? Or will I have to move the entire BPAV folder? (I am using xdcam browser to move the footage).

Thanks

Nick Greiner

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Can I offload a portion of an SxS card?
on Jan 8, 2012 at 3:15:54 pm

You should be able to sub clip (mark in and out) and import just that.
Personally I'd copy everything off the card ASAP even if you're not erasing the card immediately. I like having my source backed up. The sooner you get things backed up the less likely human (or technical) error can intervene. Imagine copying only part of the card and later thinking you copied the other part but hadn't before wiping the card. Or maybe you miss a section. . . or . . . etc. I don't believe in taking those kinds of risks. It only takes one time that you swore you did something and you didn't and you face a disaster.

Return to posts index

Pushpanatha de Silva
on Jan 9, 2012 at 6:07:48 am

Hi Craig

I will prefer the way u suggest..it's very safe..u don't have to think about it while u r recording the next episode..It's not worth the risk uness u have multi camera recording..

Dell Workstation T7500
Dell HD Monitors
Sony PMW EX1

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:19:37 pm

Unless I'm not seeing something, you're missing the point. The first clip has already been downloaded. The question refers to the ability to download a second clip without having to re-download the first clip. Nothing is risked.

Rick

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Jan 8, 2012 at 10:07:19 pm

Yes, you can do that. In the explorer windows within Clip Browser, simply drag and drop the second interview from the top window to the same BPAV folder in the bottom window that you transferred the first clip to, prior to the break.

Rick

Return to posts index

Nick Greiner
on Jan 10, 2012 at 2:08:21 am

Thanks guys for your help.

Craig, I can appreciate taking a careful, safe approach. However, when you have a producer waiting for you to put the footage on a hard drive, and she is tapping her foot because she has to catch a flight, it is good to be quick. I always make a second copy later onto my own hard drive for safekeeping.

Rick, that is the answer I was looking for. I keep hearing that you need to move the entire BPAV folder intact without changing anything. Here is a another scenario, hypothetical, but it helps me understand. Say I am shooting a football game, and at the end the producer says " just give me the 5 touchdown plays". Using XDCAM browser, could I just find those 5 clips and drag them to the lower explorer window into a folder on her hard drive? Would she still get all the necessary "structure" files to be able to open them later in an NLE?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:57:09 pm

ditto, use clip browser, but do not delete the files off of the card if not necessary.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Jan 10, 2012 at 6:15:11 pm

Brent is correct. Use ClipBrowser in the same fashion as we talked about. You probably would want to use thumbnail view to easily find the appropriate clips. Highlight all the clips needed and drag them to the bottom window. The BPAV file structure will stay intact.

Rick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]