FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM PMW-EX3 in a smaller, lighter and more compact version?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
julienne rathore
XDCAM PMW-EX3 in a smaller, lighter and more compact version?
on Jan 3, 2012 at 11:26:23 am

Hi.

I use the PMW-EX3 camera and I am very happy with it, but being a 154 cm petit female I am looking for a smaller videocamera that will be easier for me to carry when filming alone, and which delivers the same quality footage as the XDCAM. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Julienne.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: XDCAM PMW-EX3 in a smaller, lighter and more compact version?
on Jan 3, 2012 at 3:56:29 pm

Yes, the obvious one would be the first of the EX cameras, the EX 1. (now re named the EX 1R and slightly modified). I have one and it is certainly lighter than the EX 3 although maybe not quite so easy to hand hold. The quality of pictures etc is identical. There are however other differences which you should check out.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

julienne rathore
on Jan 4, 2012 at 12:02:41 pm

Thank you Michael.

I was actually hoping for something even smaller, but I am under the impression that the EX series is the smallest/lightest I can get whilst retaining quality.
Do you have any other suggestions if I were prepared to sacrifice some quality?

Thank you,
Julienne.

Return to posts index

Chris Lambert
on Jan 4, 2012 at 12:54:35 pm

The Canon 305's or wait for the C300 (though I'm not sure about the weight of the 305 or price of the C300) To be honest though I wouldn't consider the EX3 to be the heaviest of cameras perhaps a gym membership or shoulder support would be your best bet. :)

Still good value in the Z7 as well also there's the one with the funny name F something abit like the EX3 in terms of codec etc but with a larger sensor and flip up LCD

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 4, 2012 at 2:52:51 pm

What comes down to is the importance of quality vs size.
EX1 is probably the smallest camera of its type. That is 1/2" sensor and high resolving.

If size is super critical the smaller options might be:
Canon XF105 uses MPEG2 50mbits CBR
JVC HM150 uses XDCAM EX MPEG2 35mbits VBR

If you want something Sony there's:
Sony HXR M50CU uses AVCHD 24mbits or 28mbits
Sony NX70U uses AVCHD 24mbits or 28mbits

They are smaller cameras with smaller chips and don't have the resolution the EX1 has.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Jan 4, 2012 at 3:28:48 pm

The quality that you are experiencing with the EX-3 is due partially to the sensor sizes (1/2 inch). When you go to a smaller camera most 3 cmos cameras drop to 1/3 inch or even 1/4 inch. Light sensitivity decreases with the smaller sensors and so does image quality. We have the ex-1R, ex-3 and the pmw 320 in our camera arsenal. The best bang for the buck that I have seen in a long time is the Ex-1R. You can travel with it and the ex1-r has improved ergonomics over our first ex-1 camera. I find that if I use the Hoodman loop on the view finder and the large or larger aftermarket battery it is very easy to use. I put a piece of foam on the large battery and with the hoodman and the battery butt resting on my chest it is very comfortable to use. The Ex-3 in my hands requires some type of aftermarket brace for me to be comfortable on long shoots. I just returned from a 12 day shoot in Ireland a few months ago and the video that I got from the ex-1R was stunning to say the least. The only thing I noticed was that ujpon returning thome I had "shooter's thumb".

One feature you will loose going from the Ex-3 to most smaller cameras is tha ability to have interchangeabe lenses. This may not be an important feature for you.

Each camera out there has it's own stengths and weakness so you will have to decide which feature is best for you.

Good luck

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com
http://www.ramtv.tv

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 4, 2012 at 9:15:44 pm

Julienne, take the advice of Chris and Craig, the smaller Sony's are very good. Go to a good Sony agent and really investigate, I've seen some wonderful stuff from those cameras but beware, as explained, the larger chip really offers so many advantages.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

julienne rathore
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:35:54 pm

Thank you very much for all your advice - as always the creative cow crew are very helpful!

julienne.

Return to posts index

Lee Hopper
on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:29:03 pm

If you are interested in a sony HXR-M5uCU I have one, I bought it in July...I'm asking $1000.00 they retails for $1495.00

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]