FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any new XDCAM EX news/gear on the horizon?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Fleckenstein
Any new XDCAM EX news/gear on the horizon?
on Dec 27, 2011 at 6:02:58 pm

I changed employment in March of this year and am not currently an XDCAM EX user as a result. I do, however, hope to upgrade our antiquated equipment here in the future, which is why I'm curious about anything new related to XDCAM EX. I check out options from other manufacturers from time to time, but I still like Sony's solution the best for a number of reasons.

I'm surprised, despite the earthquake/tsumani situation in Japan, that it's still the EX1R and EX3 in the lineup. It seemed reasonable that certainly something new would have come along by now. It's noteworthy to find that's not the case.

So...what's new? What's the buzz? :)

Happy New Year,

Clint

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: Any new XDCAM EX news/gear on the horizon?
on Dec 29, 2011 at 6:25:14 pm

I think Sony and Panasonic are putting more effort toward the larger sensor camcorders. I'm waiting for the next round of those built in more of an ENG style.

Bob

Return to posts index

James Sapione
on Jan 3, 2012 at 12:03:44 am

I was curious about any new announcements too.

I need to upgrade gear. I was really looking to buy Panasonic HPX250... but the Auto focus/lens is terrible (plastic toy) along with the inability to dial in Kelvin, and sub-par peaking. Too bad, because it has so much going for it (AVC-I100, TC in/out, HDMI,SDIout, 10bit 4:2:2) BUT DAMN - that lens has problems!!!!

So then I was going to buy Sony Ex1r. I've used it many times and love the way it performs. However - the Ex1/3 have been around now for nearly 3-4 years. Seems like its time for something new to come out, (that has servo zoom) and I don't feel like dropping $6000 on a camera - that may be out staged with a new handheld Sony that could shoot 10bit 4:2:2 in 2012-2013?????

Rather buy a used HPX170 for $2000 (could pay this off quicker) and wait for the next big thing. Either Panasonic releases the HPX250B with a totally re-worked lens. Or Sony releases a new EX1r type camera that shoots 10bit 4:2:2.

BUT WHEN..... WHEN (and IF) THIS HAPPENS? Love to hear any new news!!!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 3, 2012 at 12:32:55 am

Hmm, the Sony F3 shoots to SxS in XDCAM EX 4:2:0.
Sometimes a camera is more than a codec. You've pointed out a few "shortcuts" on the HPX250. What does it resolve to? What about the recorded image? The lens glass counts as well.

You may have to wait until NAB.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]