FORUMS: list search recent posts

Viewing Raw XDCAM footage on Windows and Mac

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Kitter
Viewing Raw XDCAM footage on Windows and Mac
on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:49:57 pm

Ok so I need a easy to use media player that I can send to clients so that they can view our raw footage. The native codec on the Video is Apple XDCAM HD 1080i60 (35 Mb/s VBR) and the Audio is AES-3.

My first solution was to include VLC, which has the capabilities of viewing the video, however even the latest version is unable to play the audio.

The second solution was to use quicktime player, with perian downloaded to handle the advanced codecs.
Both Video and Audio works fine for MAC's, but there is not a PC version of perian. Even so I fear this might be too many steps for some clients to deal with.

If anyone has a solution, whether it be a stand alone player, or a website to download the codecs for VLC, or whatever.

Thank you for your help

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: Viewing Raw XDCAM footage on Windows and Mac
on Dec 20, 2011 at 1:02:47 am

Try the KMP player here:

http://www.winportal.com/kmplayer?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_camp...

It works for my XDCAM EX files just fine on Windows 7.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600
New convert to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Adam Kitter
on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:05:13 pm

Also I tried the KMP player, and no luck. I am just getting audio with a black screen for the video Maybe you have additional codecs on your machine from FCP?

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:15:02 pm

That is strange. My system is Windows which can't use FCP and KMP works fine. Not sure what to think. Sorry.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600
New convert to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Adam Kitter
on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:46:04 pm

No Worries thanks for the advice none the less, maybe there is some settings I am missing, or something

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 20, 2011 at 2:22:26 pm

Check out XD-Decode from Calibrated Software. It's a QT plugin that allows you to view XDCAM .movs..

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

Return to posts index

Adam Kitter
on Dec 20, 2011 at 4:06:55 pm

Yeah I tried that, works well enough, but looking for something to give to clients, and dont really want to pay for user licenses.

Thanks very much though

Return to posts index

Adam Kitter
on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:23:30 pm

For anyone reading this thread that has the same problem here is the closest thing I can come to an answer.

In Short PC's don't like this codec, it sounds like there is a way to re wrap it through FCP but it seems really long and time consuming, and if you are doing this for free it is going to kill your time, and if the client is paying it is a waste of money.

The only player I have found to work is http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp it is not free, you can buy a multi licence or pay for a single user (I think $100+) again I have tested many players and tried many plugins and this is the only one that works.

VLC plays the video, but no audio, which is weird because almost every player can play the audio but no video.... technology can be so frustrating. I literally have a VLC programmer informed of this problem and he is trying to find a solution, if VLC releases an update or codec download I will post it on here.

Sony has a player called XDCAM player, you think this would work hhahaha not even close, again you can re wrap the files and use this player to view those files, but for me its not worth the time.

Long story short if you want to view these files on a PC, its gunna cost some $

If you are on a MAC congrats you can actually play these thru quicktime you just need to download a program called perian, it works wonders. just google perian

Return to posts index

Jeffery Haas
on Sep 22, 2014 at 5:32:09 pm

The very LATEST version of VideoLAN's VLC Media Player for Windows DOES support full audio and video playback of Sony XDCAM-EX MP4 files, at least on all my Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit workstations anyway.

The VERSION number of the latest update, as of September 22, 2014 is
VERSION 2.1.5

I realize that this is a pretty old thread but thought I would jump in anyway in case some folks are still wandering over and wondering if there is a fix.

Cheers,
Jeff H in Downey CA - Deep Freeze Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]