Sonnet Echo Expresss /34 Thunderbolt Adaptor and SxS

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Sonnet Echo Expresss /34 Thunderbolt Adaptor and SxS
on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:41:57 pm

Sonnet Echo Expresss /34 Thunderbolt Adaptor
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

SxS Memory Card Compatibility—Based on testing in our lab, we expect the Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapter to be fully compatible with SxS media cards and transfer data at the full card speed once Sony® makes available an updated driver that is Thunderbolt technology aware.

They've started shipping. I've already got one report that it works with Matrox MXO2 with Express adaptor. It looks like they tested with SxS as well.

This would mean SxS cards could work the entire Mac lineup (except MacPro which needs Sony SxS to USB reader).

Any here about to try this?

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
Re: Sonnet Echo Expresss /34 Thunderbolt Adaptor and SxS
on Dec 16, 2011 at 8:08:42 pm

It appears as if you have to put your express34 card into the adapter. That seems a little odd.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 16, 2011 at 8:20:57 pm

[Bob Tompkins] "It appears as if you have to put your express34 card into the adapter. That seems a little odd."

Umm, it's and express34 adaptor so I'd think that's the intent. You'd just but your SxS card in it just like you would on 17" MBP

Since it says it supports SDXC readers I wonder if it'll also handle MxR MxM cards.

Note they mention SxS compatibility when Sony updates their drivers to be Thunderbolt aware.
Ian are you listening?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 16, 2011 at 8:41:52 pm

$150 from Sonnet
https://secure1.sonnettech.com/product_info.php?&products_id=392&osCsid=7b6...
$130 from B&H (although not in stock yet)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827757-REG/Sonnet_ECHO_E34_Echo_Expre...

So once Sony tests it looks like a good deal given the higher price and possibly lower speed of Sony's SxS to USB reader.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:36:56 pm

Why wouldn't you just make a SxS card to Thunderbolt adapter and cut out the express 34 card adapter. Also, I wonder if it supports 64-bit?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:23:37 pm

SxS is Express card. Fits in just like it would in 17" MBP as far as I can tell.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:23:35 pm

That is what it is.
SxS is an express 34 bus

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 16, 2011 at 8:20:00 pm

We have not had a chance to test yet but we have one on order..

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 16, 2011 at 8:26:30 pm

Beat my question by 57 seconds so it seems.

This would be very important to SxS card users of all stripe. I can imagine using MacBookAir for a field copy station with the ability to screen clips. Alternately a MacMini capture station on a network so one doesn't have to tie up a more significant computer (yet with faster transfer speed than Sony's SxS to USB hopefully).

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:34:10 pm

Craig, how would it be used with an MXO2?

Rick

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:05:29 pm

I'm not sure I understand your question. You can use the MXO2 Express adaptor but you can also get the MXO2 Thunderbolt adaptor and wouldn't need to use the Sonnet Express adaptor at all.

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:56:32 pm

You mentioned...
They've started shipping. I've already got one report that it works with Matrox MXO2 with Express adaptor

So, my question is how would you use the new adapter in conjunction with the MXO2?

Rick

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:03:47 pm

[Rick Diamond] "So, my question is how would you use the new adapter in conjunction with the MXO2?"

I'm sorry I don't understand. It's an Express adaptor. Just hook it up, not that I've tested this specifically.
I don't understand what you mean by "how" since hooking it up should be no different than using built in Express port. It's an Express port to Thunderbolt adaptor . . . but Matrox has a Thunderbolt adaptor so you could use that instead.

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Dec 19, 2011 at 9:36:26 pm

OK. I assumed you meant that this device can be attached to an input on the MXO2. But the MXO2 does not have a Thunderbolt port. That's what I don't understand. So can you please explain how it is compatible with the MXO2. You wouldn't need the MXO2 for ingesting SXS if you use this adapter.

Rick

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:17:03 pm

Matrox MXO2 allows for video input through live HD-SDI for example.
MXO2 attaches to Express port and yet the MXO2 also has a Thunderbolt port adaptor as well.

Basically the Sonnet Echo Express adaptor means ANY MAC with Thunderbolt will eventually be able to handle anything that needs an Express port assuming the drivers are written.

I'm not sure why people hare having such difficulty understanding this. It simply means any device that needs an Express port might work whether it's an MXO2 or an SxS card or whatever else. MXO2 DOES have an Express port adaptor though.

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:06:50 am

My thinking was this device would be used as thunderbolt INPUT into the MXO2. I get it. thanks.

Rick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]