FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Unable to update Firmware

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Billings
EX3 Unable to update Firmware
on Dec 13, 2011 at 8:50:05 pm

My EX3 is on on Firmware 1.05 and I would like to update to 1.15 but as stated on other posts, the download doesn't work. Called Sony and they said the camera will have to be sent in to service center to have the firmware updated. I want the latest firmware to help clear up ocasional SD card errors in camera. Seems sort of overkill to have to ship all 3 or my cameras in and pay several hundred $ just to have firmware updated???!!!! Shouldn't this be free? and shouldn't they all me to simply download and install myself?????

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: EX3 Unable to update Firmware
on Dec 13, 2011 at 9:26:22 pm

That's not quite accurate. Apologies if someone at Sony told you that. The cutoff is 1.05 for the EX3 and 1.13 for the EX1. If your EX3 is at 1.05 the support team can send you a download link. Again, you do NOT have to send the camera in if it is currently at 1.05. Call the US Support line at 800 883 6817 (ops 2/5/2) and they will provide the firmware.

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Dan Billings
on Dec 13, 2011 at 9:54:54 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the info. Just called Sony and they are sending me a link to the firmware update. Keyword is FREE, much better than shipping in 3 cameras. I will repost after updating.

Return to posts index

Ron Piedrahita
on Jan 4, 2012 at 2:22:22 pm

A colleague is upgrading his firmware, which had me checking mine. I'm in the U.S., on v1.10 on an EX3, and I see the latest is 1.16. Do I need to instal 1.15 first?

Thanks!
Ron

Return to posts index

John Woods
on Jul 7, 2012 at 8:29:31 pm

Ian:

I have firmware version 1.04 and with 32 MB SDHC cards my EX3 wont record all the way through, stoping around 60 minutes. If I send it in to Sony for firmware upgrade, how long will it take and what are the charges?

Thanks, John Woods

John Woods
WOODS Productions
Clifton Park, NY, USA

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:12:03 pm

turnaround is usually a week or less, charge is 270.00 (2 x 135/hr labor)

Return to posts index

John Woods
on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:42:31 pm

Thanks Ian. I think it best for me to stay at version 1.04 then and limit myself to 16 GB SDHC cards.

When I transfer card data to my Mac laptop, should I use the XDCAM browser or the Log&Transfer from FCP? It seems to me that the browser runs faster, but on the other hand, the Log&Transfer converts the BPAV folder over to accessible .mov files.

Best,
John

John Woods
WOODS Productions
Clifton Park, NY, USA

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:47:08 pm

Log and Transfer and XDCAM Transfer only generate the .mov files. To clone/copy the raw files on the card in their original data structure you need to use Browser..

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Dec 14, 2011 at 2:22:18 pm

Well, I seem to have allowed time to pass me by.
My EX3 is still on V1.03.

How does one go about upgrading from here?
Do I want to upgrade the firmware?
What do I really get with this?

Sony Tech phone support goes right into voicemail.

ZwickFlicks LLC
Wisconsin, US
Sony PMW EX3
MacPro
Final Cut Pro 6.6
http://www.zwickflicks.com

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 14, 2011 at 2:32:53 pm

Updated firmware adds media support, bug fixes and improves compatibility/functionality with newer versions of application software (Browser, Transfer etc). It is strongly recommended that you keep the camera up to date. After you're above 1.05 you will be able to perform future updates yourself.

If you call support (800 883 6817) and get VM, leave a message and you will get a call back, usually within an hour or so. If you just want to arrange to send it in you can call 866 766 9272 and they'll send you an RMA.

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Dec 14, 2011 at 2:39:47 pm

Thanks Ian,

Just now got a call back telling me my early version camera (serial #100110), needs to go in for firmware. What I don't get was why the early versions were unable to be user updated from 1.03.

If only they could fix the sticky lens issue.....

ZwickFlicks LLC
Wisconsin, US
Sony PMW EX3
MacPro
Final Cut Pro 6.6
http://www.zwickflicks.com

Return to posts index

Dan Billings
on Dec 16, 2011 at 12:40:44 am

Be sure to read PDF directions on upgrading firmware. Do not use regular USB port on right rear of camera. You must use hidden USB under shoulder pad after removing screw. I stripped my screw and can't get the plate off. Now I need to get something to remove the stripped screw. Firmware Not updated yet.......

Return to posts index

Nic Bevan
on Dec 21, 2011 at 8:41:56 am

Hello all, is the latest firmware update 1.15 or 1.16? I'm currently on 1.15 and would like to go upgrade if I can, but the link on the Sony site doesn't seem to be working. I work in Cambodia so would appreciate a link rather than a number to call. Unless someone knows a RELIABLE service centre in Phnom Penh!

Return to posts index

Dan Billings
EX3 Firmware updated successfully
on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:39:10 pm

Been shooting for several weeks now with updated firmware in all 3 of my EX3 cameras. I have not seen any card errors since updating, which is the main reason I wanted to try the new firmware. All my cards are SDHC class 6 and Class 10, not Sony SxS. I was getting "restore media" errors quite often before the firmware update. I was at the point of needing to replace all my SDHC cards or making a switch to all Sony Cards. I don't need to do that now. Even my class 6 cards are working fine and error free. No more card errors no need to switch to the more expensive Sony SxS cards or to buy the Sony SxS card readers for all my edit bays. So far so good

Return to posts index

Ron Piedrahita
Re: EX3 Firmware updated successfully
on Feb 24, 2012 at 2:08:45 pm

Hi Dan,
What's the latest firmware? I'm on 1.1 with no issues, but I see 1.15 and 1.16 are out there and unsure if there are variations for EX1 v EX3, NTSC or PAL or something else.
Thanks!

Ron

Return to posts index

Dan Billings
Re: EX3 Firmware updated successfully
on Feb 24, 2012 at 6:57:08 pm

I belive the latest is 1.17, that what I upgraded all my cameras to. You will have to get someone from Sony (see previous post in this tread) to send you a workable download of this firmware. The Sony site containing a "downloadable" link to new firmware does not work. No too many noticable changes by making the upgrade. I only updated firmware to get fewer "media error / restore media" card errors when shooting. I only use SD cards, not Sony SXS cards. So far so good.

Return to posts index

giovanni dore
on Dec 22, 2012 at 10:20:19 pm

Hello, I have a big problem, my ex3 has the firmware 1.04, if I use the card g1 32gb or 64gb G1A, it asks me to format and formatting always stops at 79%, then do not work. If you use cards from 8 gb everything works perfectly, what can I do? I'm going crazy. Sorry for my english but I'm italian

Return to posts index

giovanni dore
on Dec 22, 2012 at 10:41:50 pm

Hello, I have a big problem, my ex3 has firmware 1.04, if you use the card g1 32gb or 64gb G1A, it asks me to format and formatting always stops at 79%, then do not work. If you use cards from 8 gb everything works perfectly, what can I do? I'm going crazy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]