FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing/Corrupted footage on SxS card...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Belcher
Missing/Corrupted footage on SxS card...
on Dec 9, 2011 at 5:51:40 pm

I have a feeling it's too late, but I'm missing a large portion of a clip on one of my SxS cards. The footage was shot with the Ex3.

So at first, I tried to transfer the footage with XDCAM Transfer. However, the SxS kept performing import errors and constantly ejecting itself from my Mac. Then upon re-connecting it for the final time, the card listed only 3 clips... out of the original 4.

After that, I put the card back into the EX3 where the card needed to be restored. So I restored it, and the missing 4th clip seemed to return... until I noticed that only 7 minutes of it returned, as opposed to the original 25 minutes. So my questions are, has anyone ever had this connectivity issue with SxS cards, and is it because I restored the card in the camera that the footage is missing... if so, is there ANY way to get it back?

Thank you..

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Missing/Corrupted footage on SxS card...
on Dec 9, 2011 at 8:27:29 pm

25 minutes is too long for one file. SxS cards have a 4 GB file size limit which maxes out at roughly 15 mins. This must be a spanned clip (a clip made up of multiple mp4s). Do you see identical clip names followed by "01" and "02"?

Are you able to view or manually import the files using Clip Browser or XDCAM Browser? Both of these have a manual import function that will take any "raw" EX .mp4 and rebuild all the related metadata. If you can import the file(s) and build a new BPAV you should be ok. If these apps error out on a manual import the file may be damaged and require more work to recover.

Also please make sure all your apps are current-- XDCAM Transfer 2.13, XDCAM Browser 2.0, Clip Browser 2.6. All the software is available at http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads

Finally, does the clip play back correctly in the camera?

Hope this is helpful.

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Steven Belcher
Re: Missing/Corrupted footage on SxS card...
on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:15:40 am

Everything is up to date and I've checked multiple times in both Transfer and Browser... Only part 1 of the clip is there, not the 2nd portion. Same thing when I insert the card in the camera and check the BPAV files... no 2nd portion.

Is there any chance the missing portion is still on the card and can be recovered somehow? Also, has anyone ever had an issue with the USB port ejecting the SxS card while importing?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]