FORUMS: list search recent posts

travelling with XDCAM

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Frazier
travelling with XDCAM
on Nov 30, 2011 at 11:12:10 pm

I'll soon be travelling with a Sony PDW-F335 disc camcorder on a private plane. The pilot wants to know if the camera can be stored in an unpressurised cargo compartment for the flight - we'll be getting up to about 40,000 feet.

Since the camera won't be running, I'm not aware of anything that can be damaged by that lack of pressure, but I don't know the inner workings of a camera or lens to that degree.

Anybody have any insight into this?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: travelling with XDCAM
on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:40:22 am

My pilot / cameraman friend says "Just say no. It may be fine, the pressure shouldn't hurt it, but say no anyway. Would you check your baby into an unpressurised cargo compartment?". He's obviously feeling a bit feisty this morning. Bottom line tho, unless you are personally supervising the cargo handling, then you don't want it getting put down there ... unless it doesn't matter if it gets thrown about a bit, boards come loose etc.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:08:31 am

Not only that, but unpressurized means a big condensation issue going from the ground temp to minus 60 F at 40,000 ft. and back down again. Certainly not good for the delicate workings of the camera. You'd have to wait until the camera is completely back to normal temp and no condensation.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Dec 2, 2011 at 3:55:34 am

Also, I've been told that the extreme change in pressure can effect the imagers (CCDs) resulting in dead pixels!

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Windows 7, 64 Bit, i7 8 Core, 16Gb Ram, GeForce 4800

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
on Dec 13, 2011 at 4:44:49 pm

Gentlemen, thanks for your confirmation that I should put it in the cabin with us. That's the answer I was really looking for.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]