FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nipros ST7 shoulder mount for EX1R

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Longfield
Nipros ST7 shoulder mount for EX1R
on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:36:11 am

Has anyone used the NIPROS ST-7 shoulder mount adapter for the EX3 and EX1R ? I'm thinking of getting one for use with the EX1R. It can use ionic lightweight batteries on the back (Sony or Anton Bauer with adapter plate) and can be used with Sony's VCT-14 tripod plate for quick release. Has other neat features as well, basically making it more like an ENG-cam, (sort of), but without the added weight.....plus has a decent shoulder pad. Sony lists these on their website. Looking for feedback on the unit. Thanks !

Unit Description:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/685995-REG/Sony_ST_7_NIPROS_ST_7_Shou...

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Nipros ST7 shoulder mount for EX1R
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:48:22 pm

[Dean Longfield] "(Sony or Anton Bauer with adapter plate)"

Philip Bloom has an interesting article on this unit on his site.

I've been looking at this online, and it is interesting, but it is expensive, and if you need compatible batteries (& charger), even more so. I was not aware of the option to use A/B with adapter plates; where have you seen that?

Battery questions, which this Nipros unit raises for me: I have three old - ancient - A/B batteries and an old A/B charger. I assume these batteries should be rebuilt, or perhaps discarded. Should I ditch that investment, and if so, what battery types should I be looking at, for corporate, all-day work? Li-on, graphite li-on? And, does the Nipros + Sony battery give a battery level indicator in the viewfinder?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:14:47 am

Re: Option to use A/B adapter plates: I read it somewhere but can't recall where. I did call both Sony and A/B and they both said that it's possible to use the adapter plate with the Nipros ST-7. However, after downloading the PDF on the Nipros ST-7 which states that one should not use both a wireless mic receiver and an external recording device at the same time because it would be too much weight - and after speaking with a distributor rep who confirmed that the ST-7 is actually an ST-1 with an attachment on the back that's held on by one screw and a post, I've decided NOT to get the Nipros ST-7. I'm currently leaning towards the DM Accessories EX1R Shoulder Kit ($399.) with the Pivoting Back Plate, ($89.) where you can attach an A/B Plate for the EX1R, ($150). The above combo costs less than the Nipros ST-7 and appears to be sturdier.

Re: Old A/B Batts: They can be recelled for around $300 for a Hytron 100, 120 or 140 which are all recelled with 140watt hour cells these days. However, when using with the EX1R, Im thinking of using the lighter batts like the Dionic 90's or Hytron 50's mainly because they're light. Less wear and tear on the A/B mount that's connected to the shoulder brace, not to mention less wear and tear on my shoulder and back...etc

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 19, 2011 at 2:11:41 pm

That is surprising about the weight problem on the Nipros ST-7, though I am not sure what it really means. I looked up the language in the online manual; is this what you saw? "They might damage the grip of a camcorder if you lift the camcorder up only with the grip or install a receiver of the wireless microphone, a hard disk backup unit, etc to the battery shoe of ST-7. A camcorder applicable to ST-7 is designed for single usage. We recommend you to use ST-7 as a supporting equipment. It can not be applied to the operation which gives a heavy weight pressure to the grip portion and the application to use a wireless receiver and a hard disk backup unit together."

To me, that sounds like an overly-cautious engineer, and in all fairness it probably means that although the ST-7 can take the weight, the camera's handle might not -- which would apply to ANY shoulder-mount system which offers a ton of attachment points for hard drives, batteries, HD monitors, blow-driers, snow plows, and mini-fridges.

But whatever that means, I had arrived at the same conclusion as you apparently have. I like the looks of the DM-Accessory shoulder mount too; I'm planning to buy one, and will let you know what I think.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 19, 2011 at 10:46:45 pm

If you're interested, check out the offerings from Juice Designs as well. I use their EX1R base plate and arm and am very happy with it. Having a 3rd party base plate for the EX1, EX1R and EX3 is a must. Especially the EX3.

http://juicedesigns.myshopify.com/products/ex1-ex1r-base-plate

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Nov 22, 2011 at 8:48:41 pm

Any equipment that can use a Sony V-Mount (like the Nipros ST7) can be adapted to an Anton Bauer Gold Mount ... I'm sure the folks at Anton Bauer would be happy to tell explain exactly what is needed specific equipment.

As far as batteries in general, I'm a long-time Anton Bauer user, but have gone to IDX instead for the past few years ... so far, I find them to be just as reliable Anton Bauer. Not only are they cheaper than Anton Bauer, but what really won me over is the IDX ability to piggyback two batteries together effectively doubling the battery power. That isn't a strong selling point for use with these smaller cams that can't support as much weight, but with the full-size cams like the Sony PDW-F355s I use, it's an invaluable advantage that I'm surprised Anton Bauer hasn't adopted yet.

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Jan 24, 2012 at 8:44:06 pm

I did pick up the DM Accessories EX1R Shoulder Kit with an AB Gold Mount Plate for the EX1R. It's very sturdy and works very well thus far. I also picked up a DM Accessories VCT Wedge for the shouder kit which enables you to use the unit on a tripod with a Sony VCT-U14 quick release plate. The attachment to the Sony Plate is only from the front and there is no back attachment like on large cameras, but the cam and shoulder brace is surprisingly secure while sitting on the tripod plate using this method. The only thing is I could not "push" the unit onto the VCT-U14 plate where it locked in, but instead have to open the VCT-U14 manually - and while holding it open - place the shoulder brace's attached Wedge Mount onto the quick release plate, then close the quick release in order to lock it in. Which is fine, just different.

All in all it's quite a good unit. The cam is much more balanced with a AB Dionic 90 on the back, though s still slightly front heavy. It's very easy to attach and detach a monopod to the many pe-drilled holes on the unit and using the monopod really takes the weight off my shoulder.

Also you can use the rear battery, in my case an AB Dionic 90, to power the cam if you wish. I'm just using it for the on cam light right now, but it's good to have that option.

It's a nice set up that I'll tweak as I go along.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 25, 2012 at 8:26:22 pm

Thanks for the report.

I bought the shoulder mount also, though I'm not as far along as you as far as the battery mount or quick release. I'm interested in DM's dual BP-U60 mount (I think they can add a D-tap), though I'm not sure it will provide enough power for the camera plus an on-camera light.

You must have mounted the camera to the shoulder mount further forward than I did; I couldn't access the camera's battery compartment the way I configured it. Perhaps if you powered the camera from your AB battery, you could also move the camera further back on the mount and improve the front-heaviness.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Feb 26, 2012 at 4:12:03 pm

Re: Battery: Currently, my thinking is to use the external battery mounted to the back of the shoulder brace as a light battery only, but that can be used for double duty in a pinch, (power the cam & light).

Re: Camera Position on the DM Accessories Mount: I first mounted the cam all the way back but could not access the on board battery in terms of taking it on and off, so I moved it one position towards the front so that i could access the battery.

i haven't tested it much in the field due to end of the year work slowdown, (holidays), and other commitments I had in the beginning of the new year, but will be using it often as the year progresses.

I'm wondering if there is a way to mount a wireless audio receiver to the rear of the mount near the external battery which may slightly help the weight balance. Will look into it.

Return to posts index

Todd Stark
Re: Nipros ST7 shoulder mount for EX3
on Mar 12, 2012 at 2:06:12 pm

Hello,
I have just bought the EX3. I cannot seem to find anyone using the Nippros ST 7 . It seems like a very fine piece, though the price is a bit high. Several of you recommended the DM Accessories Shoulder kit for it. What is the best method for making it like my old Sony DSR500 that I am used to ?

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
Re: Nipros ST7 shoulder mount for EX3
on Mar 13, 2012 at 6:14:07 pm

Todd - for the EX3 go to:
http://shop.dm-accessories.com/collections/ex3-products

My suggestion is to:
get the EX3 Shoulder Brace and then build from there depending on what type of rear battery you'll be using, (if any). ....and any other attachments that suit your needs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]