FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Transfer software can see/transfer one VERY important clip.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Ogden
XDCAM Transfer software can see/transfer one VERY important clip.
on Nov 7, 2011 at 12:32:17 pm

Hi there,

Had a shoot this weekend and i was using the SONY EX3, all went well apart form one crucial thing: one of the clips I shot (a 25 minute interview) won't display in XDCAM transfer for me to transfer it.

The clip plays fine in camera and I copied the entire BPAV folder from the Sxs card to a hard drive in finder as backup and have been able to open and play the clip in VLC. Why cant XDCAM see it?

Interestingly the clip appears to have been split up somehow,

if you see the picture you'll see what I mean

the suspect clip 043_0057 has two versions _01 AND _02 which I'm sure has something to do with it, the recording didn't span two cards so the camera didn't have to switch slots during recording which I know can cause problems.

The EX3 and SxS cards were rented so I've had to return them, I asked them not to format the card until I had the clip in my FCP browser and backed up elsewhere.

Question is: Can I sort this using the data in the BPAV folder? It plays in VLC fine so surely there is a solution.

thanks for reading

Luke

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
Re: XDCAM Transfer software can see/transfer one VERY important clip.
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:32:49 pm

You can't even see the clip in XDCAM Transfer?

Did you try to re-wrap the clip(s) in XDCAM Transfer? Select the entire source directory and Import?

What about XDCAM Browser? Did you try looking at, or playing the clip there?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:14:38 pm

Did you make the copy using ClipBrowser or XDCAM Browser with CRC On?
If not, you risk a possible bad copy without CRC check to confirm.
If the .mp4 is playing in VLC you can import the raw .mp4 into one of the above utilities and create a new BPAV for it. You'd lose the original metadata but that may be what's corrupted.
Always use CRC On when copying.

Return to posts index

Luke Ogden
on Nov 9, 2011 at 10:49:01 pm

I used the file>import>XDCAM in FCP which opens up XDCAM transfer, then Cmd + A to select all clip and hit import. When I realised this one clip was missing and knowing I had to return the sxs card to the rental place I copied the entire contents of the sxs card to the hard drive using finder, as a back up. So given that I can view the clip how do I go about importing it into XDCAM transfer so that I can rewrap/convert it into a file I can edit.

Also I just had a look around XDCAM transfer and cant find a CRC option, where is it?

thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 10, 2011 at 11:54:38 am

Good question Luke. Craig is our mentor and scourge as far as CRC is concerned and I believe it can only be found in Clip Browser. I personally only use Transfer to get my BPAV files on to various back up drives prior to import but apparently this is considered to be dangerous, no problem yet thank goodness however.

As Sony have now decided to combine Transfer with Browser I'm not at all sure how everything will work, I wish they'd leave things alone when they seem to be working well. I'm sticking to my version of Transfer which works well for me. All the BPAV's show up well, I can trim clips and select prior to exporting into Media 100 as ProRes QT .mov files.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Nov 10, 2011 at 12:56:41 pm

I may not have the correct workflow for this. But I use XCDAM Browser to copy the BPAV files from the card to a couple of locations for backup. in XDCAM Browser, you can set and use the CRC option for error checking.

After I've copied over the files, I then use XDCAM Transfer to un-wrap the copied files. I don't think XDCAM Transfer has a CRC option, but I'm only using it to un-wrap files that are already copied and backed up.

XDCAM Browser might be able to perform the same un-wrapping function as Transfer, but I couldn't figure out which option it was. So, if there is an option for this in Browser, I'd like to know it and save me the step using Transfer.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 10, 2011 at 8:37:52 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "o, if there is an option for this in Browser, I'd like to know it and save me the step using Transfer."

Clip Browser is the copy/upload tool and XDCAM Transfer is the unwrapping tool. There's no copy function in Transfer. Eventually the new XDCAM Browser will be more mainstream and this combines both functions.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Nov 11, 2011 at 12:04:02 am

That's good to know. But I'm surprised Browser doesn't have an un-wrap function.

Return to posts index

Luke Ogden
on Nov 11, 2011 at 2:25:29 pm

Good to know, sounds like one software to do it all would be a lot simpler. or even if they just had a plugin so it worked in Log and Transfer right within FCP, like the P2 and canon ones.

so what is the process of rewrapping/converting this rouge clip so i can edit the darn thing, all I have available is the copied (in finder) BPAV directory.

thanks for all the help guys

Luke

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Nov 11, 2011 at 2:44:11 pm

Did you try and use XDCAM Transfer to re-wrap the clip?

Select the BPAV location and Import. In the Preferences, you define the location for the import.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]