FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is anybody here? I really could use an answer to my questions below.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Is anybody here? I really could use an answer to my questions below.
on Oct 28, 2011 at 6:57:44 pm

Thanks very much Patrick. I was hoping for other opinions as well, because I see there are many options for SDHC recording on the EX

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
Re: Is anybody here? I really could use an answer to my questions below.
on Oct 29, 2011 at 1:16:05 pm

[Greg Ball] "Is anybody here? I"

Did you read my reply? Sony suggesting you only use their own SDHC adapter for emergencies.

I suggested you use what Sony offers and supports. What are your concerns about not following Sony's suggestions?

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:17:22 pm

Hi Kevin,

My concerns is that there are many other SDHC Cards and adapters that many folks are using. Sony is more expensive, and I really have not found anyone else suggesting them. I'm not using these cards for "an emergency", I'm using them as the main cards for recording. I appreciate the fact that you're helping me, but I was hoping to hear from a few others as well with additional viewpoints.

Also, from what I understand, if you update the firmware to 1.2 you can use 32GB class 10 cards, or even 64GB cards. But do I upgrade myself? Bring it to a Sony authorized repair shop, or send the camera to Sony?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 29, 2011 at 5:17:53 pm

I, and many others, are using SDHC cards as their primary cards.

With proper precautions they work well. The main problem is there are some who don't take these precautions.

Only use tested cards. MXM lists results of their testings. In addition, since manufacturing procedures can change at any time, I absolutely recommend doing one's own testing before putting an adaptor/card into use. Understand the card's timing. Don't start record after stopping until the write light changes color.

Keep in mind many professional photographers livelihoods depend on SDHC cards so they are not an inherently "unprofessional" option. You do need to test thoroughly though because of the uniques needs of the adaptors and EX cameras. You also need to understand that there are high quality cards and crap out there (reminds me of the early days with video tape stock). Just as a professional photographer would only use professional grade cards, so should you. Counterfeits are also so common that I'd strongly recommend buying from a reputable dealer.

IMHO the main difference between SXS and SDHC is that Sony vets their cards for the specific purpose they're designed for. With SDHC you must do the vetting.

Get cards that have been tested by the adaptor manufacturer. Stick to professional grade cards. Always do your own testing (I've posted my procedure a few times in the past).

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Oct 30, 2011 at 2:31:35 am

Craig, well said!

I would just like to add an SDHC/SDXC adapter and memory card as a combo/unit, can, and is successful however, the choice of memory card and adapter is paramount.

I don't want to sound like I am preaching but please understand and consider, when using SxS media, which is built for Sony EX CAM cameras and is very good media, but at a considerable price and at the same time, you have no choice of say as to what type of memory and technology is used in it.

So basically you are buying the manufacturer's recommended solution. SxS media does not provide an 100% error free recording. It has been documented in the manufacturer's manual. Firmware upgrades were required on cameras and some SxS media had to be returned for it's own firmware upgrade.

The most obvious advantage of SxS media is a faster download provided you acquire the appropriate device to achieve this, but this is rapidly eroding as new SDHC/SDXC media is allowing almost comparable transfer rates without expensive transfer devices.

In regards to SDHC/SDXC adapters and media, it is important to get the right adapter and memory card for your application. As a professional, I would not recommend cheap memory cards unless it is a one off shoot. Choosing the right memory card requires a little bit of effort and research.
If you don't wish to go this way, the best solution is choose the most PRO SDHC/SDXC media in your price range.

Some users may have problems with cheap recording media as the quality is marketed towards the budget user.

On the other hand, there are a lot of users who have had no problems with quality SDHC/SDXC media in a professional environment, and have been successfully using them for the past 3 years. We mainly hear the problematic stories but a lot of them can be avoided by simple user diligence!

Marek

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 30, 2011 at 3:05:45 am

Thanks Craig and Marek. May I ask what you guys are using and why? Consider this part of my research.

Also what about upgrading to 1.25 Is it something I can do? Or do I need to send the camera to Sony?

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Oct 30, 2011 at 4:48:58 am

We have successfully upgraded EX1s from 1.11 to 1.20 and then to 1.25 on numerous occasions for clients without any problems whatsoever. However, we adhere to strict rules.

1. We use a laptop with a battery and AC power connected.
The battery is there just in case there is a power surge.

2. Likewise the camera is connected to AC power and a fully charged
battery for back up.

Follow the pdf instruction steps very carefully and yes, you can do the upgrade yourself.

In regards to what adapters, you should do your own research, but remember memory cards used is very important.

Marek

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 30, 2011 at 3:33:06 pm

Hi Marek,

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

I AM doing my own research. That includes asking other EX1/3 owners what they are using successfully.
What better research is there than that? I'm hoping others will relay their thoughts here.

What do YOU use? and why?

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Oct 30, 2011 at 7:57:56 pm

Hi Greg,

MxM adapters http://www.mxmexpress.com/product.php?id_product=69 or Hoodman's SXSXSDXC adapters...http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1063

Only trying to help/give advice and not a sales pitch...

Best regards,
Marek

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 30, 2011 at 8:59:40 pm

Greg, since you insist on others reporting on their own experience I make a definite point of only using the Sony S X S cards. Those were the cards originally produced for the EX cameras and I personally want to take the least amount of risk possible as regards media shot. I realise the price differential but it's a one off cost, I don't need more than two hours worth as I download to a portable drive using my MacBook if I have to shoot more in one go. It's still cheaper than film!!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 30, 2011 at 10:30:59 pm

Michael, Since I "Insist"?!?

IMHO, the best sources for information are the folks here on the Cow. I've learned a great deal fom folks here! I know that you feel SXS is the ONLY option, but obviously many people choose the SDHC option. That's the info I'm looking for.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:11:54 am

[Greg Ball] "Michael, Since I "Insist"?!?

IMHO, the best sources for information are the folks here on the Cow."

And Michel's long experience is for sure one of the best sources.
I use the SxS cards as a back-up, since I record in a NANO-flash.
I tried the SDHCs when they started to be an option and I had problems only with a couple of SandDisks that I guess were fake (bough in bangkok).
Fallow Craig and Marek advise and you will go fine.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Nov 4, 2011 at 4:50:24 pm

I agree with what Craig said. I am using 32GB Sandisk class 10 extreme HD cards with an e-Films MxR extreme adapter. No problems so far. It goes green after recording as fast or faster than the SXS cards.

Bob

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:54:27 pm

yup

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Bruce Quayle
on Nov 23, 2011 at 10:30:17 pm

Pitching in a bit late with my 2-bits worth: I use mainly the Hoodman adapters with their supplied 32 Gig RAW cards. I have had these for almost two years and record everything including slow-mo on them. Not had one glitch as yet, but I'm very careful to ensure my previous shot has been logged properly (the green light comes on) before rolling my next take. I also switch off my camera if I intend to remove or replace a card. I know this is unnecessary....but what the heck.

I also have the 16Gig SxS card that came with the camera and occasionally use it for a "must have", "one-take-only" scenario. Again...it's not that I don't trust the Hoodman cards, it's just that I'm a bit anal...possibly even superstitious. ;-)

Cheers,
Bruce

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Nov 23, 2011 at 11:05:59 pm

What firmware version are you on Bruce?

Bob

Return to posts index

Bruce Quayle
on Nov 24, 2011 at 8:19:13 am

Hi Bob,
I'm on version 1.10 at the moment. I updated the version myself soon after buying the camera and haven't got around to updating to 1.20 yet. I'm so happy with the way it's operating at the moment that I am rather reticent to fix something that "aint broke".

Cheers,
Bruce

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Nov 25, 2011 at 4:53:12 pm

Hi Bruce. I know what you mean. I am still on v. 1.11, but am sending the camera off for update because of the chance of freezing it up.

You will need to update in increments, at least that is what Sony told me. They said if you are below 1.13 it needs to be done in steps.

The firmware update will reduce the chance of errors from SDHC cards, especially high capacity (32GB).

Good luck.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Dec 10, 2011 at 4:06:52 pm

Update. I just got the EX1 back from Macie Video and everything seems great. Updated to V. 1.26 for $175. BTW, FedEX two day ground was a good shipping option.

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]