FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1R (and other LCD-viewfinder cameras) viewing aid/alternative?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
EX1R (and other LCD-viewfinder cameras) viewing aid/alternative?
on Oct 25, 2011 at 1:33:52 am

I really like my EX1R. But in bright exteriors, especially run-and-gun situations, both viewfinders are very hard to use. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has found a good solution to this problem. I'm nostalgic for the old Betacam high-res b&w viewfinders, and the way the eyecup excluded daylight. I'd love to find something like that for the EX1R.

I have an external monitor, which is great for interviews, but way too unwieldy for run-and-gun exteriors.

Strapping a hood onto the LCD is problematic, because it requires that you leave the LCD monitor in its most vulnerable position, and when I'm climbing in and out of vehicles, getting up on forklifts, etc., that viewfinder is at risk. But I'd take it, if it solved the problem. The old Betacam viewfinders, even in b&w, were so good.... I wish one could be adapted for the EX1R.

Bob C

Return to posts index

jim stamos
Re: EX1R (and other LCD-viewfinder cameras) viewing aid/alternative?
on Oct 25, 2011 at 7:26:55 am

have the ex1r. the vf on the r is useless.
i use the hoodman loupe for the lcd and its great. turns lcd into a very sharp viewfinder. the optics on the hoodman loupe are very crisp. i always use it
hoodmanusa.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 25, 2011 at 1:21:13 pm

Is this what you use?

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HEXKP

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:04:15 pm

yes thats it. i was shooting dvcam before with a dsr300 camera . it had an excellant viewfinder.when i got the ex, using the lcd was as bad as the viewfinder. you will not be disappointed with the hoodman loupe at all. im left eyed and can still use it.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:06:40 pm

bob, i dont leave it on the camera, put it on each time i use it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:06:05 pm

It wasn't clear to me ... does it have a diopter adjustment? Similar to what you have on the camera's viewfinder?

I've gotten old enough now that I can't read without correction either.

Sheesh.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:09:38 pm

yes it has a very good diopter. comes with an eyecup that covers eye youre shooting with or one thats just round. i like that one better.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:22:19 pm

I meant, can you adjust the magnification?

Can I adjust it for my eye so that I can focus on it?

I can't read without a correction.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:25:49 pm

yes you can its very crisp.
if you find you dont like it which i believe you will, hoodman will gladly take it back.give it a try. its light years better than looking at the lcd.
im 56 and have monovision with my contacts because i hate wearing reading glasses. its totally worth the investment

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:29:38 pm

even with my monovision i can focus loupe with either eye.i cant shoot accurtately without the loupe.bfore i found this, i was having to put reading glasses on everytime i used the lcd, it was a royal pain and i had to have the camera at just the right distance for that to work.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:07:59 pm

I also use the Hoodman which does provide a very clear image of what is being shot. It also allows the camera to be somewhat shoulder mounted for a bit more stability. The only issue I have w/ the Hoodman is the time it takes to get it off and on in the middle of a fast paced shoot. (the LCD is needed for the over the head and low/odd angled shots). It would be nice if instead of Velcro and fabric, the Hoodman slid on w/ a hard rubber channeled piece. That way off and on would be much faster.

BTW, I do enjoy the smaller sized cameras for their portability, especially when I have to fly. In the end it seems, there are alway compromises and w/ the smaller size does come some limitations.

I'd be interested in hearing any other insights/solutions.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Oct 26, 2011 at 4:18:52 am

does anyone have problem manually wb the ex1r. i get pretty good color, but sometimes theres a slight yellow. havent tried any pic profiles

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 26, 2011 at 1:03:51 pm

Within the PP's you can dial the color temp to what you want. I almost never let the camera set the white balance. Give it a try you will find the PP's give a better look as well.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 27, 2011 at 11:17:17 am

I too found the lack of a decent high res finder to be the biggest drawback (only one) with this great camera.

I researched and also bought the Hoodman Loupe which converts the LCD into almost as good a finder as does the kit on the EX 3. BUT, it is a pain to fix in a hurry and it tends to move about, a more stable fitting arrangement would help enormously. If the camera is on a tripod it's just about OK but hand holding for me doesn't work. I'm left eyed and, unlike a previous poster, I can't get the eye cup near enough. I use the CP-V (something like that) shoulder support and however I adjust it the camera is too far away. I have reverted to just fitting a shade over the LCD and peering at that. I'm managing to focus more accurately than I did at first with this camera but oh, how I miss the finder on my old DSR 300!

As to W/B, I agree, set them all in PP's and find one to match your current lighting, quicker than using a card and you can see what you're getting.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 27, 2011 at 11:40:04 am

My sympathies for the left-eye problem.

It does seem rather amazing that a technology that worked beautifully (the Betacam eyepiece) has been lost. Perhaps the b&w viewfinder is not considered marketable. Think of all the old Betacams gathering dust - if someone could figure out a way to put their viewfinders onto the new cameras.... ah.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:07:58 pm

Ah yes Bob but it's the cost. A good HD finder, even in B & W would cost as much as some of the cameras! I enquired from my Sony supplier whether it would be possible to purchase the EX 3 screen hood and fit it on my EX 1. Firstly the price for the part was about £300 but the main problem was that I was advised that the hinge and bracket for the EX 1 screen was not sturdy enough for the addition. If you look at the EX 3 assembly it is different. I'd consider an EX 3 but it's heavier and I love my EX 1. Pity about the focus!!!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:23:56 pm

I saw a video on Vimeo by Martijn Schroevers. He has adapted the Zacuto Z-Finder to the EX1's screen, nesting the Z-Finder in a Petrol hood and spacing it back from the LCD screen so it can cover the whole area of the screen (the Z-finder is designed for DSLRs and their smaller screens.)

Bob C

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Oct 31, 2011 at 7:56:08 am

where can i find some good pps that shooters have customized for specific types of shooting

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:46:28 pm

Hi Jim,

There's a lot of information on this online! For Picture Profile info, you might want to start with Alister Chapman's website, xdcam-user.com. But if you search ("'picture profile' sony xdcam"), you will find many other sites, including a uk-based Sony website with a couple of samples.

There is almost too much advice on this, which doesn't keep me from asking for more - if anyone wants to share their recipe.

I'd also be curious about what to avoid - as one experienced DP has remarked on the COW, you have to be careful not to use a setting that was designed for the previous shoot, if it is inappropriate, and especially if that shoot was in an extreme situation.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]