FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod System under £500

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Symonds
Tripod System under £500
on Oct 21, 2011 at 12:22:39 pm

Hi all,

Looking at getting a third tripod, already have a Manfrotto HDV503 and Libec LS38 but need another. Libec is good but feels a bit flimsy under an EX1R and there are no drag controls and I cant use it to mount the slider. Also only has a mid-spreader which is a pain. Manfrotto is good and I'd have another one of them if they still made them even though it is a bit heavy.

Anyone have any suggestions whats available for under £500 for the lot. Obviously there will have to be compromise somewhere (fluidity, weight, price etc.) but interested to hear your thoughts

Cheers, James

Return to posts index

Chris Lambert
Re: Tripod System under £500
on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:42:49 pm

Similar situation to yourself at the moment I'm debating a Libec Ls38 can be found for a smidge over £400 at HDEW, the only other option I can currently see in the price bracket is the Manfrotto 504HDV I had the opportunity to use one last week and wasn't overly impressed, maybe I had the drag set wrong but the tripod head would pause then gradually slide to the opposite side I was panning at and then return, it was very smooth in doing this but would look terrible on the footage. (I'm not so familiar with the Manfrottos so I may have had it setup wrong, likewise it was a hire job so could have seen some serious mistreatment elsewhere.)

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Tripod System under £500
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:58:18 pm

They still have the 503 and 501 Manfrotto

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II