FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDHC Workflow Sony EX1R

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharon Dennis
SDHC Workflow Sony EX1R
on Oct 15, 2011 at 4:47:33 pm

Hi there..

Thought I would re-phrase my request for help. I have SanDisk Extreme Class 10 8GB cards.

I have run into a problem with one card---there is apparently an "orphan clip" and it is now "write protected" and I can't open the clips in my camera or on my browser.

So---I must have done something wrong. There must be a work-flow point I am missing. I have a Sony SxS adapter and I have used six San Disk Extreme 16G cards on a shoot without incident.

The only thing I can figure is I deleted clips in the field on this card.

Can someone with a lot of success tell me what they do with these cards to keep them stable? For example,

1-Don't delete clips

2-Don't switch from Camera to Media

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
Re: SDHC Workflow Sony EX1R
on Oct 15, 2011 at 10:14:32 pm

Still thinking about you. Did you have any luck opening the clips in XDCam Transfer? Under logging on the right hand side of the screen see if it allows you to select subclips. You may be able to import without the orphaned clip.

When you record a clip that is more than 3.2 GB (I think) a new clip is automatically created (because the cards are FAT32 formatted). Is it possible that you created a sub clip and deleted part of it? This could cause your problem. I never delete while recording. It makes me too nervous that I am going to delete the wrong clip. I would never even rewind a videotape while recording for fear of recording over something. Do you do this to save space?

Return to posts index

Sharon Dennis
on Oct 16, 2011 at 2:16:16 pm

Thanks for the help!

I tried and failed with the transfer tool. It won't allow me to do anything b/c it considers the card "write protected".

I have scoured the boards and there seemed to have been some chatter about card issues when you quickly switch from media to camera...the card can't "catch up" and problems happen.

I am also wondering if I should stop locking the cards after use. It's a holdover from tape days to make sure the content wasn't recorded over...

As for deleting in the field...I was also the producer on the shoot and I knew exactly what I needed and decided during downtime to delete.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 16, 2011 at 5:06:20 pm

The problem with switching from card to media would only come if you did not wait for the light to change color from green to red.

I would not lock the cards. You can't record over existing footage anyway. The camera just goes past the last clip recorded.

I would also not delete clips. It is really easy to do after downloading the clips and it does not take much extra time like it did when digitizing a tape. If you need more space buy more SDHC cards.

I really would like for you to get your missing footage back but I am really clueless without having the card. I know that there are data recovery firms that can do it if you really need it. Also, Ian Cook from Sony who shows up here sometimes may be of further help.

Return to posts index

Sharon Dennis
on Oct 16, 2011 at 6:01:24 pm

Thanks!

I am contacting SanDisk re: Clip recovery. I also want to be able to see if I can can erase the content and test the card to see if it is a faulty card.

Thanks for tip with the SDHC. I will no longer lock the card and not delete clips in the field.

Any other workflow advice---greatly appreciated. I want to work with these cards...they are cheap compared to the SXS cards which allows another option for content delivery to my clients.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]