FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Ex1R-SDHC "Best Practices"

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharon Dennis
Sony Ex1R-SDHC "Best Practices"
on Oct 14, 2011 at 4:19:59 pm

Hi all---

I recently started using SanDisk Class 10 SDHC cards in my Sony SxS Adapter in my Sony EX1R video camera.

On the first shoot, I had a very positive experience. On this shoot, the first disk now won't launch to view in the camera or in the browser. It won't restore media in camera and when I use my card reader the Sony Browser won't read the card "telling" me instead to "repair" the disk in the camera. Obviously, I have tried that and it didn't work.

The only thing I have done differently between this shoot and the last shoot is that I deleted clips in the field. I have done this with the expensive Sony SXS cards without a problem. So my question---is that a no-no with the SDHC cards? Is there a "best practices" checklist on how best to use these cards so media corruption issues don't appear?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: Sony Ex1R-SDHC "Best Practices"
on Oct 14, 2011 at 4:41:24 pm

I have always deleted clips in the camera. Also, I reformat the card fairly often as I have had errors too. I still have the first firmware version though so that might be my problem.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600
New convert to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Sharon Dennis
on Oct 14, 2011 at 5:00:44 pm

How are you able to use the SXS adapter/SDHC without upgrading firmware? My camera wouldn't accept the adapter without the firmware upgrade.

So--I should be able to delete clips in camera with the SDHC w/o fear of corrupting the card?

Other than it being a faulty card it seems that is the thing that may have caused this issue.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 14, 2011 at 5:35:02 pm

Deleting clips should not be a problem. Did you try loading the SDHC card with out the adapter...just using an SDHC card reader? I have had more problems with the adapters than the card. Also
push the card in and out of the adapter a few times. Sometimes it is just a contact issue.

When you load the card on your desktop and do "get info" does it show the card has data on it? I am sure it is there.

Don't panic.

Return to posts index

Sharon Dennis
on Oct 14, 2011 at 5:32:07 pm

Some additional info...

The camera say NG: Media write protected

And the camera won't let me re-format the card

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 14, 2011 at 5:36:30 pm

Did you or someone accidentally or on purpose slide the write protect switch on the card?

Return to posts index

Sharon Dennis
on Oct 14, 2011 at 6:50:33 pm

Where is the write protect switch on the SDHC Card? When I finish a card I put it in the lock position to keep it from being recorded over (a holdover from tape days).

As a test, I put it in the sandisk card reader locked and unlocked and it comes up with the same error.

In the Sony Clip Browser it says " incomplete clip exists. Use salvage operation in camera" Of course, the "salvage operation" doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 14, 2011 at 11:11:15 pm

It should be unlocked.

Did you record from a first card to a second card? If so, clip browser is looking for the orphaned clip which would complete you incomplete clip. Just a thought.

Also, have you try opening the card with XDCam Transfer which is another app that can be used. Sometimes you can import each clip individually without the orphaned clip and then find the orphaned clip later.

I try to avoid letting the clips run automatically from one card to the next because it is a pain.

I don't have my editor at home so I can't tell you exactly what the XDCam menus are.

Return to posts index

Sharon Dennis
on Oct 15, 2011 at 1:46:27 pm

I got info through disk utilities (it won't allow me to repair the disk, however) it shows an "orphaned clip."

I only use one slot at a time.

I will try to use transfer.

I guess the question---what did I do to cause an "orphaned clip?" All I go back to is deleting a couple clips in camera in the field.

I really need to know what I did wrong so I don't repeat it :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]