FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX XDCAM update

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lambert
FCPX XDCAM update
on Oct 7, 2011 at 11:33:42 pm

Hi does anyone out there know what Sony's plans are for integrating xdcam ex into FCPX I remember after the 1.10 update there was talk of Sony soon releasing an update anyone know anything about this eg. what form will it take? native mxf support? or just a better rewrap tool?

Any best guesses how long it will take? been a month since we knew something was happening? Now I'm no programmer and understandably their not going to be throwing a massive team behind this but Sony telling apple their working on it, to update, to one month later still not out. It's got to be pretty close right? (fingers crossed)

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: FCPX XDCAM update
on Oct 8, 2011 at 12:27:38 pm

Hi Chris

I don't personally remember any special mention of "soon" for releasing anything, but certainly it was mentioned that Sony had the SDK and were going to produce something and that we would be told more "shortly" *that was only a couple of weeks or so ago) ... am sure Ian will update us with news as soon as theres news worth telling.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/876930
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/876548

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:33:48 pm

I'm new to XDCAM EX, so sorry if I'm missing something here.

I use Sony's XDCAM Transfer tool to export the file to *.mov files, which work fine in FCP X.

What are the limitations of using the *.mov files?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:15:28 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "What are the limitations of using the *.mov files?"

Not much if you're on a Mac and use Final Cut. They're a major pain if you need to hand something to any system (even Mac) that doesn't have FCP installed.

Preserving the BPAV allows others to wrap or encode to a codec for their particular needs.

The BPAV is the camera master and it should always be preserved IMHO.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 8, 2011 at 7:01:08 pm

That much I think I understand about the format.

My workflow is to use Sony's XDCAM Browser to copy all my files to an external RAID 1 drive. Keep the entire directory structure in tact. I then use XDCAM Browswer to copy the files (as BPAV) to an internal RAID 0 drive for Premiere Pro. Or XDCAM Transfer Export for FCP X.

I was just wondering what if any issues there are using XDCAM Transfer to Export the media into *.mov files. Outside of perhaps an extra steps.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 8, 2011 at 7:32:17 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "I was just wondering what if any issues there are using XDCAM Transfer to Export the media into *.mov files. Outside of perhaps an extra steps."

There's no loss as it's only a rewrap. Actually you can use Calibrated Software's EX import or Sony's Cinemon to import the .mp4 directly into FCP7 (and I'm hoping for FCPX soon as well).

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 10, 2011 at 2:14:15 pm

I'm wondering, what does the rewrap actually do? It's not transcoding anything? Is it?

What's the point, or need for the complex file structure for XDCAM EX?

Also, while I do preserve the structure through initial backups, what's the importance or advantange of keeping this structure? As opposed to keeping the rewrapped files?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 10, 2011 at 2:56:32 pm

The original file structure gives the ability to rewrap to any codec.

Each type of player and /or NLE has a language to identify and play a video file, Apple's Quicktime only reads .mov files. Some NLE's can now read and play any file , but before this happened Sony introduced the EX codec and their own file language and they gave software to support some NLE's of the end users choice. It is this native (BPAV) file that is the original archive from the camera and some here believe a copy should always be saved to properly preserve the original recording. Each user can determine their own needs, but many times this end user doesn't understand the workflow and rewraps the files as their way of transferring the files off of the SxS cards instead of the originals. The original file structure gives the ability to rewrap to any codec.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 9, 2011 at 8:53:55 pm

Kevin, I do the same with Media 100. Sony Transfer straight into Media 100 in a codec of your choice, in my case Apple ProRes HQ 422. No problem.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]