FORUMS: list search recent posts

rewrap or convert mxf to avi, wmv, etc.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Halder
rewrap or convert mxf to avi, wmv, etc.
on Oct 6, 2011 at 2:07:27 pm

I shot some conference speakers on an EX-1. Onsite, I saved the SxS cards to a desktop PC using Clip Browser and Exporting as MXF. I did this because I thought I (or someone else) would be editing with a NLE. Now the client wants to be able to cut some clips in Windows Movie Maker (or something similar) while also retaining the ability to have it "professionally" edited.

In hindsight was this dumb? Yes. I now realize (after sifting through many topics on this forum and others) I should have saved the entire file structure to my hard drives. THEN I could have exported to whatever format needed for the job. Lesson (painfully) learned.

My options seem to be 1) Bring it into an NLE (I have Vegas Pro 10 and just got Premiere Pro, so I'm not really familiar with it yet) and render or 2) Purchase software that will convert MXF to something useable by a PC.

Solution 1 is gonna take awhile. Solution 2 means finding something that actually works. Calibrated Software's program seems import just to MOV. That won't work for WMM.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: rewrap or convert mxf to avi, wmv, etc.
on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:19:51 pm

Going forward it would be a good idea to hang onto the original files from the card; they can be converted to other formats as needed. Your best bet for now would probably be to import those MXFs into Avid, Vegas or Premiere and render them back out in whatever format your client needs. If you have a lot of material you may want to investigate a high volume transcoding/conversion platform such as Episode so you can just set them up as a batch.

Return to posts index

Nathan Halder
Re: rewrap or convert mxf to avi, wmv, etc.
on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:51:28 pm

Thanks Ian. Painful lesson learned. Previous to this job I cut everything I shot, so this type of workflow wasn't an issue. However it's not something I ever thought about. Seems obvious now to keep the original BPAV file structure and encode to proper format when needed.

I checked out Episode and it's a little out of my price range for now. Currently I'm importing the files into Vegas Pro and rendering them out as WMVs. Not planning on going anywhere for awhile . . . :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]