FORUMS: list search recent posts

Price for used Ex1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Price for used Ex1
on Oct 6, 2011 at 1:29:53 am

I'm wondering what you guys think a reasonable price would be for a used Ex1 with less than 300 hours.

I'm trying to buy one off of ebay, but pricing is all over the place from 3500 to 5900.

Return to posts index

Bill Rankin
Re: Price for used Ex1
on Oct 6, 2011 at 3:09:11 am

I have monitored the price on those cameras for the past few months and you are right...the prices do vary. In fact a recent Ebay listing for an Ex1r sold for a little over $4,300 from a pawn shop. Included the battery and charger only. BH is back-ordered for those cameras. I have an EX1R for sale if you are interested.

One EX1R for sale. I am the original owner. Only 115 hours. Pristine condition. No defects or problems. The camera works perfectly.

Extras include extended life battery plus the original battery. One 16 gig and one 32 gig SxS cards. Libec zoom controller. Also includes cables and such that came with the camera. Used for inside chamber music events, children's plays, and business website commericials. All inside, air-conditioned work.

To purchase new, appr $7,500.00. Will sell for 5,500.00. email me at bill dot rankin at sbcglobal dot net

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:50:50 pm

Thanks Bill. But to be honest, I don't see what the big deal is about the EX1R. I never want to shoot in SD.
I would love to find a good EX1 at a reasonable price though.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:57:40 pm

EX1r also has HDMI and Cache Record (pre-record).
The reason why I'm glued to my EX1 is that I was lucky enough to have Sony give me one (replaced one with problem) that can do a slow creep zoom. I can use speed 2 comfortably. EX1r and most EX1 can't do that since Sony decided that it's not an easily fixable issue given the manufacturing tolerances (as I understand it).

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:40:21 pm

Hi Craig,
The one complaint I've had consistently about the ex-1 and ex-3 has been the lack of a smooth creeping zoom. Would you mind to share how you were able to get Sony to get you a camera with one? You can PM me if you want. I would love to use speed 2! Some of my 1 camera shoots for seminars, etc., I have had to make 2 camera shoots because of the zoom issue. Been quite frustrating and I've complained with no success.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 6, 2011 at 9:21:57 pm

In a rare move for me, I pre-ordered the EX1 before it was released so I go a very early serial number in late 2007. After a few weeks of testing, the zoom consistently stuttered at low speeds. I believe I may have posted it what was later to become this forum.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/856947

I sent it back to Sony after posting video examples of the issue
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/857090

Sony tried replacing the lens and found it didn't fix the issue. They got authorization to send me a new camera.

Apparently in the following few months they were inundated with people who wanted the issue fixed and eventually they determined that "spec" was speed 8 I believe and wouldn't repair or replaced stuttering zooms below that. I believe the EX1r might have a setting to that effect.

Given the importance of creep zooms on some of my interviews, there's nothing that can replace this EX1.

If you see Steve Wargo's first response apparently he has (had) an EX1 capable of a creep zoom as well, although he never did post back the results of the test he'd said he was going to try.

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:54:13 pm

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info and the links. Found them quite informative. If you ever decide to sell yours, I want to be first in line. :) I love the cameras except for that issue. I've had to come to grips that I can no longer do creep zooms. I had the DSR-300 prior and loved the zoom capabilities.

Return to posts index

Dustin Moore
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:37:18 pm

>place from 3500 to 5900.

The prices near 3500 mainly occured around the date of the FS100
release. I have not seen one near that level that did not have
major damage. At this point I would guess that the average price
for a good body only is around 3900. Add 100 for each nice
battery, 16+GB SXS card or wide angle converter.

I'm waiting for the 3500 EX1 era to return since I picked up two
back then but it might not happen now that everyone has their
FS100s.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]