FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the latest on SDHC cards for EX-1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
What's the latest on SDHC cards for EX-1
on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:58:16 pm

I need to purchase some new cards, and I'm wondering what cards are now considered the most reliable. Is it still the Sandisk Extreme Video Class 10? I'm using an EX-1 version 1.11 with an original eFilms adaptor.
Should I stick with 16-gig cards or are the 32GB cards OK with my firmware version? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: What's the latest on SDHC cards for EX-1
on Oct 5, 2011 at 6:06:00 pm

The most reliable cards for the EX 1? Sony S X S cards without a doubt, that's why they make them. Why compromise with the one aspect of your workflow that, should it fail, can lead to disaster? I've never (well hardly ever) heard of problems with these cards.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Oct 5, 2011 at 6:37:07 pm

My question was pertaining specifically to SDHC cards. I have SxS, Sandisk Class 2 and Transcend Class 6, and in more than 3 years, I've never had so much as a hiccup from any of them.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 5, 2011 at 8:53:36 pm

Sorry, I should have read the subject heading more carefully.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:21:22 pm

Michael...I will give 12,000 reasons why I use SDHC cards instead of SxS. That is how much it would cost me to buy 2 32GB SxS cards for each of my 6 EX1r's. I could buy 2 more cameras for that.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:15:03 pm

Chris I use the Transcend 32 GB Class 6 cards without incident. I have recorded thousands of clips on six different cameras. I also just bought Lexan Platinum II 32 GB Class 10 really cheap from B&H without any problems.

When I do have a problem loading a card I can trace it to the card adapter. I have a number of those I don't use anymore. I know it is the adapter because when I put the SDHC card alone in a regular card reader it works fine.

You should consider upgrading to firmware 1.2. It has a number of upgrades the most useful to me being file name available on the display screen.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:18:33 pm

Thanks Bob. Did you do the upgrade yourself?

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:46:37 pm

Yes I did using this link:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-...

Read the Read this stuff first because it is important.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Oct 15, 2011 at 6:41:28 pm

Bob,

I followed the link, but there is no information on how to do the upgrade, only the file & release notes. Also, does the same firmware work for the EX-1 and 1R? It isn't very clear.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 15, 2011 at 10:21:51 pm

The EX1r is much more user friendly when it comes to upgrading firmware. I know that you must have a certain firmware to be able to upgrade the EX1 with out a dealer but I do not know what firmware that is. I would talk to an authorized Sony dealer before I upgraded an EX1.

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:37:34 pm

I've been wondering the same thing for my EX1. Are you guys using a specific brand of adapter? Or, know of the best one available today? Is the Hoodman good? Do you have any idea whether these would work in the Sony F3?

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:48:54 pm

I use the MxR by eFilms although I would certainly consider replacing them with something else. I do have a couple of them that I don't use any more because they seem a little squirrely.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:55:44 pm

My cards Transcend Class 6 and Sandisk Class 2 (3 yrs. old) have always worked in my eFilms adaptors, but I have had occasional issues using my cards in in my other shooters' adaptors.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:38:57 pm

I use Sony's Memory Stick Adapter and Sony's Memory Stick Duo HG memory cards. I assume (and it may be bad to assume) that Sony wouldn't offer these as options, if they weren't going to work. So far, I've had no issues.

Sony's 32 GB MS Duo HG cards are about $100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]