FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony F3 picture profile or gamma for aja ki pro mini

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Krall
Sony F3 picture profile or gamma for aja ki pro mini
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:32:20 pm

I've looked around here for an answer to this to no avail...
Can anyone tell me what gammas, picture profiles, settings in the F3, etc. to use when recording to the AJA Ki Pro Mini? Since the Apple Pro Res 422 of the Ki Pro Mini should offer more headroom for grading in post, I'm guessing there's some settings to be done in camera for optimal results in an external recorder than going with the cine gammas. I do not have s-log. Editing in FCP and grading in Color. Anybody? Thanks.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Sony F3 picture profile or gamma for aja ki pro mini
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:39:45 pm

Richard,

Your camera settings usually revolve around your intended use and workflow, rather than the nature of the recording, with one proviso: that the internal 8 bit recording is no where near as good as an external 10 bit (as on HiPro) when color correction is applied.

When you are using the KiPro as the master recorder you can more freely use the Hypergamma settings in the F3 to control the highlights and dynamic range, because this gamma does require color correction as well (really gamma correction in addition to saturation).

If you're not familiar with the Hypergammas you should test it out thouroghly as the exposure settings are not the same as shooting in 709; where the mid gray is set at 50 ire. With HG2/4 it should be lower, which results in more headroom for the highlights, but must be raised again in post completion. It is easy to overexpose the faces when using HG so be careful.

JS

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:01:11 pm

It is known that the CINE 2 gamma is for bright sunny exterior use and CINE 4 is for lower light interior levels. Using the CINE gammas you won't have access to the Knee feature as these are pre made advanced setting from Sony to get you up and running. I find if given the time you can take advantage of many of the other PP's and dial in the Knee and Slope to expand the dynamic range. I find the F35like to be very yellow/orange in overall tonality and it also is set for lower light levels. I would suggest spending and afternoon with a vector scope and a good monitor and get to know the F3 profiles. I believe you can down load a set of profiles from Abel Cine Tech to get you started. I have PP's for extreme hi 56k and low 56k as well as for 32k loaded on my F3. Go to my little web page and take a look at the Time for Three video and you can see the band performance has a defining look that I setup with my F3

http://www.michaelpalmerdp.com

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:08:54 pm

Yeah, Michael makes good suggestions. The Hypergamma settings I refer to only are available as LUT's with the optional 444RGB software (sorry) but the Cine settings are similar in concept.

Use a DSC chart and WF/V scope in a test environment to familiarize yourself with the effects of each setting, and then apply appropriately when needed. The Cine 4 for example offers the most highlight control and Cine 3 is good for controlled lighting.

JS

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:27:42 pm

Thank you guys, for the input. Sounds like I need to get familiar with a scope or two. I was hoping, rather naively that, I would be able to set the camera for a wide dynamic range and shoot away in dimly lit interiors to bright sunny day exteriors (I, actually, DO know better) but, from what I'm reading here, each scenario might require it's own different camera set up. Would that be accurate? Perhaps my own settings stored 'in camera' for different scenes? Should each scene be judged with a WF/V scope prior to shooting? Anybody got any picture profiles established for the F3 recording to a Ki Pro Mini that I could start with? Does anyone know of a document outlining the the different settings in the camera such as gamma, black gamma, phase, frequency, etc... what they do specifically and why you would want to change them? (Yes, John, I am paying attention to your comment on using the scopes to see what the settings do.) I would just love to read something explaining all the functions, ifs, ands, and whys. Sorry for all the questions but, inquiring minds want to know. And I realize some of them might be more appropriately directed to different forums. Thanks so much again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]