FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can You Export from FCP to SXS for Play-out from PMW-500?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paris
Can You Export from FCP to SXS for Play-out from PMW-500?
on Oct 4, 2011 at 12:53:33 am

I have a up-coming shoot I will shoot via my PMW-500 in XDCAM 422 HD and edit via a Mac Book Pro in the field. We will also be receiving highlight footage in XDCAM 422 HD which will be included in the edit. The client want to then play-out the footage from the camera for a Satellite feed later that day.

Can this be done?

I've tried exporting a timeline (XDCAM 422 HD at 30fps CBR) to the SXS card using the XDCAM transfer/browser programs and playing back from the camera, but it's not working. Should I be putting the file in a particular folder?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Can You Export from FCP to SXS for Play-out from PMW-500?
on Oct 4, 2011 at 1:29:06 am

Pretty sure that wouldn't work. You'd be better off with something that supports HD-SDI out- i.e. AJA or Blackmagic deck.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Oct 4, 2011 at 3:07:53 am

I was able to do it, but with a work around. Instead of using the UDF file structure that the SXS cards use to record XDCAM 422 HD, I formatted the card as FAT drive in the camera which the XDCAM EX 420 HD Format uses.

I then selected EXPORT..... XDCAM.... changed the "Format" codec to XDCAM EX and the File type to one of the XDCAM EX Codecs (XDCAM EX 30 VBR at 720) and choose the SXS as the destination.

Once the file is transferred to the SXS cards... eject and put into the camera.
At this point the camera still will not play the file. On the PMW-500 open the menu and select operate..... clip ...... update..... and update the clips on the card.

At this point it works! Now I just have to figure out how to do the same thing via the UDF.... XDCAM 4.2.2 50mbs codecs.

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Oct 4, 2011 at 4:39:55 am

Hi Bill

Ian's post here may help:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/873347

Given that the post is quite old, it may be a situation where using the newer XDCAM Browser app (being a combo of XDCAM Transfer and XDCAM EX Clip Browser) is a more convenient option than using XDCAM Transfer to export first and then Clip Browser to refresh.

Personally I'd recommend something like a Matrox MXO LE or AJA Express box, then you can feed straight from the timeline without the need to go back to camera ... always good to have more time for editing / finishing in a fast turn situation.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Oct 4, 2011 at 2:19:08 pm

I would never use the camera for a playback device. If you have a few hours before going live, why not use import to your computer and play back on your computer? Or, transcode to appropriate codec for playback?

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Oct 4, 2011 at 5:57:27 pm

We're feeding the final edit to Europe via satellite after the Ironman in Kona Hawaii, we will edit on a laptop as soon as the race ends and will feed when our turn comes up, There will be a SAT truck with a HDSDI cable to hook up to... that's it. I like the AJA Express solution..... might pick one up?

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas!

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:56:39 pm

Very cool. I filmed the 1/2 Ironman 70.3 in Clearwater Beach. Here's my highlight clip. Those athletes are incredible.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite