FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCam HD 422 - excruciatingly slow transfer speeds

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Curtis
XDCam HD 422 - excruciatingly slow transfer speeds
on Sep 27, 2011 at 3:06:46 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I don't see one for XDCam HD, and this seems the closest to it.

I was recently given 4 Sony rewritable optical disks with about 23G on each one. I was also loaned my clients Sony PDW-U1 drive unit to do the transfers. This is a USB2 device; no other interface is available.

I have two MacPro3,1 computers, both supposedly USB2 capable. On the first MP, it was taking about 4 hours to transfer the 23G to my super-fast RAID via the Finder. This seemed outrageous, so I tried it on my second MP. I got improved performance, but it still was two hours to transfer to a single internal SATA drive.

I tried two different USB cables, so I don't think that was the issue.

What in the wild wild world of sports is a going on here?

This is slower than real-time.

Is anybody else here cutting with these disks? It's the format for XDCam HD 422 and similar variants.

Thanks,

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro 3,1; 2x4 3GHz; 32G RAM all the same brand; 10.6.8; QT 7.6.6; FCS3; CS5.5; MC 5.5; Kona LHi in PCI slot 3 (9.0.3); Primary display: 30" ACD; Monitoring: Kona LHi SDI to AJA HDP2 converter to HDMI on the HP DreamColor.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: XDCam HD 422 - excruciatingly slow transfer speeds
on Sep 27, 2011 at 3:35:29 pm

Sadly that's pretty much the nature of the beast. Slow media technology + slow connection cable. Those drives are likely USB1 for Mac and Sony's Mac support is fairly lagging.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:07:47 pm

Nope, they're USB2 Noah.

Jim, Apple have been a bit rubbish with their own USB2 support in the past, and they only really started getting it together in late 2008 when it seems they may have started changing the USB controller chip they were using ... am afraid your early 2008 MacPro's may not have enjoyed that revision, so part of your issue may indeed be hardware related.

That said, you might want to try reinstalling the drivers; creating and using a new user account; try with your Mac booted from a clean backup system; try using the drive on a different Mac and/or PC etc etc ... the usual barrage of troubleshooting steps.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:22:22 pm

Hi Andy, you posted as I was responding to Noah.

I tried the PDW-U1 Drive Unit on three different Macs: two MacPro3,1 - which had different results (one was twice as fast as the other) - and a MacBookPro4,1 (the newest model of Mac that I own). I still got dismal performance copying from the PDW to my internal drive.

Aren't USB drivers part of the Mac OS? If not, how would one update them? I don't think I've ever installed a USB driver. I installed a USB3 PCIe card on one MacPro, and that required a driver, but I'm fairly certain that was for the card, not USB per se.

Thanks,

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro 3,1; 2x4 3GHz; 32G RAM all the same brand; 10.6.8; QT 7.6.6; FCS3; CS5.5; MC 5.5; Kona LHi in PCI slot 3 (9.0.3); Primary display: 30" ACD; Monitoring: Kona LHi SDI to AJA HDP2 converter to HDMI on the HP DreamColor.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:53:08 pm

Hi Jim

Am talking about reinstalling the Sony XDCAM Drive software ... not Apple's USB drivers.

As for the speed of working with the XDCAM optical media, using single head equipment (connected vi FW ... but the bottleneck is the speed of working with the optical disc technolgy not the interconnect) I can import the contents of a full 23GB disc (about 60-90 minutes of footage) using XDCAM Transfer in about 40 minutes or so. With your U1 I'd think you should be able to do the same in around 20 minutes.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Sep 27, 2011 at 5:06:37 pm

Andy, I don't see any XDCam drive software on the Sony site.* I see XDCam Transfer, AMA plug for Avid, SxS card and iLink drivers, but nothing for the drive unit in question.

Site link:

And these speeds I'm giving you are just for doing a Finder copy of the PROAV folder. The times double when using ChronoSync to do a copy and verify pass.

Once I get the PROAV folders copied, the re-wrap to QT is fairly speedy using the Sony XDCam Transfer app.

If you're able to copy a 23GB disk in 40 minutes, then I've definitely got something rotten going on here.

I see on the Sony site that there is a firmware updates for this drive unit. It may have never been applied (As I mentioned, this is a loaner unit.).

I will install the latest (They actually have one for Mac! Yay!), and see if that improves anything.

Thanks again,

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

Adam Pearson
on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:18:11 pm

This URL will take you to the section of the website that has the XDCAM Drive software download.

For what it's worth, I'm working on a project using these drive currently and all my software is up to date but I'm still getting horridly slow transfer speeds.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-...

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:23:50 pm

Adam, one way to tell if the driver has loaded successfully is by the appearance of your drive icon on the Desktop. If the driver is working, you should see an XDCam icon that looks similar to the physical disk. If not, you'll see a generic disk icon. Once you see the XDCam icon, you should be getting faster read speeds.

And when you do Get Info on the disk, you get a different disk type when the driver is loaded correctly. I can't remember what it's called at the moment, as I don't have one to take a look at right now.

HTH,
Jim Curtis

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:44:41 pm

That's why I usually transfer files of this size right before going to bed. It'll be done in the morning and I'll be ready to edit.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:14:55 pm

Thanks for your reply, Noah.

Sony advertises the PDW-U1 Drive Unit as a "high-speed" USB2 device.

(They came out with a USB3 version Sept. 1 for $5700+.)

USB2 has a theoretical speed of 480 Mb/s. USB1 is 1.5 Mb/s.

The Sony site claims "The Professional Disc’s data transfer rate is 86 Mb/s from a single optical head unit and 172 Mb/s on a dual head deck..."

That's better than USB1, but still well below the theoretical maximum of USB2; about one fifth (single head).

Still pretty dismal. And as you point out, apparently "the nature of the beast."

Thanks again.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:32:43 pm

I just thought of a workaround, and wanted to get your thoughts.

If it's Mac USB2 support that sucks, would it make sense to buy a cheap Windows laptop that had USB2 and Gigabyte ethernet just to get media off these optical disks faster?

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:56:47 pm

See my post above Jim ... although the raw and sustainable speed of the Mac's USB implementation was never quite up to that of it's PC cousins, I don't think the issue you're having is directly due to your Mac's USB connectivity per se. If its taking you 2hrs to import the contents of a single 23GB disc then you have some other problem at play. What version of the XDCAM Drive software and XDCAM Transfer are you using?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 27, 2011 at 5:08:29 pm

I second Andy.
That's too slow even for a very slow USB.
What kind of media HD are you downloading to?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Sep 27, 2011 at 5:21:01 pm

Hmmm. The Sony site fooled me. What was listed under Firmware is actually Driver Software. I'm going to install it - and not update the firmware as I erroneously reported earlier - and see what happens. Sorry for the misinfo.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Sep 27, 2011 at 7:13:19 pm

Epilog: After installing the driver software, I was able to copy just under 24GB in around 30 minutes.

So, it appears that the driver was the missing piece.

With the driver software installed, the XDCam disk icon looks like an optical disk. Without the driver, the icon was a generic Mac OS disk icon.

Thanks again for all the input, guys.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:35:46 am

Thats good news Jim, glad you got it sorted.
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:02:57 pm

Jim, we have the same issues here. Which driver did you install now?

We tried different ones and had terrible results on Lion and Snow Leopard machines, Macbooks and Mac Pros.

My speed is 0,2x realtime. So 4GB took me one hour to capture.......

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:57:29 pm

I tried posting a link earlier, but I guess the Cow strips them. Go to the Sony Microsite and search for XDCam > Downloads. Click the link that says, "Product Firmware and Setup Utilities." Then you should see a link for the "PDW-U1 XDCAM Drive (SD/HD)". Then click, "PDW-U1 Drive Software version 2.32 for Mac OS X and Windows" and the driver for Mac & Windows should download.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:19:57 pm

Ha, we didn´t get that one because it says DRIVE not driver. I didn´t want to mess with a rented drive´s firmware.....classic.
try it tomorrow and let you know if it helped ;-)

Return to posts index

Lindsay Barker
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:17:04 pm

Thank goodness for these forums and the people that respond. I have the exact same issue. About to download the driver and see if it resolves it. 1 disc was taking 4hrs. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Joel Russo
on Nov 8, 2013 at 5:20:02 pm

Yep! Download the drivers. Speed difference is night and day. Thanks guys! You saved me!

Return to posts index

Phillip Wood
on Aug 5, 2015 at 3:45:40 pm

Thanks a million - this has saved me a long and painful few hours / months.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]