FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crossing over from DSLRs

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Smede
Crossing over from DSLRs
on Sep 24, 2011 at 7:27:13 am

I've happily graduated from the world of DSLR's, and I love my EX1r, but I'm going through some serious growing pains with some of the terminology and functions.

I'm trying to understand how to "drag" the shutter speed down to about a 1/2 second for a timelapse sequence of, say, 1 frame every 3 seconds. On my 5D2 (used as a still camera with an intervalometer) this is a simple matter of setting a low ISO and a high f-stop to produce that long shutter speed. However, it seems the EX1r doesn't deal in slow shutter speeds, but rather "frame accumulations" in SLS and/or "ex slow shutter"... I'm sure it makes sense to most of you, but to me it seems very cryptic. What in the heck is "frame accumulation"? In more general terms, can't I just dictate a shutter speed of 1/2 second, then crank up the f-stop to f16 and put it on ND2? Am I missing some critical difference in the way still cameras and video cameras do timelapse sequences?

Cheers,
Steve S.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Crossing over from DSLRs
on Sep 24, 2011 at 9:37:31 am

[Steve Smede] " it seems the EX1r doesn't deal in slow shutter speeds, but rather "frame accumulations" "
Frame accumulation sounds well but means nothing here.
Frame accumulation (light accumulation) is the natural think what happens in any captor when is open, and will depends of the "Shutter speed".

EX-1 and HDSLRs uses the same kind of captors (CMOS) and they works the same on this respect.
Shutter speed works the same in both.
Don't forget that the DSLR is making stills while the Ex-1 is recording standard video.
So while the DSLRs gives you absolute time values (1/50,1/60,1/80,1/100..), in the EX-1 the shutter speed is referenced to the video format set in camera,
Anyway you have three different options to set the EX-1 shutter speed.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Sep 24, 2011 at 2:31:06 pm

Try the Interval Record feature and then and then try adding the Slow Shutter feature located in the menu under the Camera icon.

I would also suggest you purchase the Mastering the EX1 from Vortex Media, the basic features are explained in depth and you will learn more with this video about your camera than you ever thought possible.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:21:09 pm

I 2nd the Vortex Media DVD on the EX-1 / EX-1R. He show's you how to do the timelapse.

There are 3 settings. I don't have my camera with me at this time, but 1/16, 1 frame, slow shutter. These settings are in there, just different terminology than the DSLR. It actually is easier than doing timelapse in the DSLR. You can watch it back in camera immediately after shooting.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite