FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems viewing video files in quicktime player

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Roberts
Problems viewing video files in quicktime player
on Sep 21, 2011 at 9:37:41 pm

Hello, I hope somebody can help...

I have 46GB of raw XDcamEX footage that I have given to a client via ext hard drive, who is insistent on editing the footage himself.

I can view the files fine on my macbook but when he tries to view them on his, an error message comes up saying the documents cannot be opened because they are not in a format that quicktime player understands.

He does not have Final Cut Pro, as I use, and wants to use iMovie 11 to cut with- could this be the route of the problem? I've e-mailed one of the files to another friends Macbook, who also does not have Final Cut Pro, and she gets the same problem.

He says it could be a codec issue? All the files are .MOV with codecs of (when I 'get info'): MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode.

I transferred the files straight off my EX3 camera using the XDcam Transfer software, onto my Macbook.

What can we do to get the files playing on his Macbook so he can edit them himself using iMovie.

Please, please help! Thanks in advance..

Joel

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Problems viewing video files in quicktime player
on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:49:28 pm

Hi Joel,
To manage XDCAM stuff is necessary FC (6.2 up) or a Calibrated plugin.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Sep 22, 2011 at 12:52:48 pm

Did he pay you yet because my thinking is that it his problem? You delivered what he needed, it is not your fault he does not have the knowledge needed to continue with the project. And if he did not pay you yet shame on you for giving him the camera masters without getting paid.

Return to posts index

Joel Roberts
on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:39:17 pm

Thanks for your advice and recommendations guys.

Of course I have already been paid for filming the project and I know this isn't really my problem now, but he may well have some more work coming my way so just trying to keep him sweet!

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:37:31 pm

Is that your client? Holy crap! Good thing you were nice to him. Not so much me.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:54:22 pm

The client should consider paying you for post supervisor.

I had a client how also took the "I'll take care of the editing" route. When I handed over the video I told them that a professional editor would be able to import the video into the current version of any professional NLE. I also told him my rates if he decided he wanted me to edit it. I also offered to convert them to an NLE at what my rate would be for that.

If the client tells you iMovie than offer a rate for converting it AIC.

If you have the potential for more work from the client and this is going to be their workflow then build in the file conversion into your rate.

If clients are just looking to play back the files, I point them to both VLC and Sony ClipBrowser. VLC can play the files without the need for any plugins and regardless of what NLE they might have on their system.

Playback of XDCAM EX files is easy and free. Conversion for a specific NLE is a post service that is paid for.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:24:45 pm

iMovie won't handle it unless converted. He'll need some conversion software. There is some free software for the Mac that he can download.

I personally would recommend he purchase Adobe CS5.5 or at least the new Adobe Premier Elements 10. Either should be able to handle the codec.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Max Reid
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:09:04 pm

I have noticed that QuickTime 10 doesn't play EX files. I was able to dig out the older QT 7 and it does the job just fine.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:37:22 pm

On OS 10.6.8 with FCP 7.0.3 and FCPX 10.0.1, I click on an XDCAM EX .mov file and it opens and plays in Quicktime 10 just fine.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 22, 2011 at 6:29:51 pm

For US$ 99,95 your client will be able to edit the files on iMovie;
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/store/MacOSXIndividualStore.asp
Have a look to the "EX-Essentials".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 22, 2011 at 9:20:05 pm

I entirely forgot about that.

Of course make clear to the client that they must buy the plugin themselves.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:39:07 pm

Craig,

Have you been able to import from the BPAV folder into FCX 10.0.1? I just get a green screen. I had read that Sony was creating a plug-in to work w/ EX footage natively. Any news on that?

Other than that, would you use XDCam Transfer & re-wrap/transcode to something?

Thanks,

Jim

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:27:43 pm

Craig,

Just to follow up on my previous post; XDCam Transfer of EX files will play in QT and also import as files into FCP X. That's pretty much the same work-flow as FC7. It will be interesting to see what Sony comes up with for native import. (and when we will see this plug-in)

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]