FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange EX3 focus issue

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Morris
Strange EX3 focus issue
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:32:57 pm

Hello,
we've recently shot a couple of presentations in typical office locations. Back in the edit we found that some shots were slightly out of focus / very soft. Since we checked the focus carefully and used the marker tool in the VF this shouldn't have happened. After looking more deeply into the specific shots, we found that they all were medium wide angle shots in mixed light (day light / tungsten) and partly against windows. The result was a sort of high key look (that was intended) with a blueish touch from the day light. The close up shots in the same spot (but with the talent covering about 70% of the frame) were perfectly in focus. The (not so) funny thing is, that you couldn't see this issue in the camera monitor - only later on the HD monitor.

Anyone has experienced this before (and found a solution to this)?

Thanks
Martin

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Strange EX3 focus issue
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:39:40 pm

Sounds like back focus was off. While I don't have EX3's nor use them, I've heard that this can be ab issue. They have some "auto" back-focus feature which may or may not have been used correctly. Check the instruction book, go through the procedure and see if you can create sharp wider shots. If not there might be a mechanical issue with the lens mount or flange. This will need to be addressed in the maintenance shop.

JS

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Sep 19, 2011 at 7:14:16 pm

Also, did you use the peaking feature to verify focus? That should always tell you if you are spot on. In addition use the "expand focus" button on the handgrip to check focus as well.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
New convert to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:40:29 am

Although all the advice given above is perfectly valid (especially the use of expanded focus) I too have experienced 'soft' edges when shooting a head against a bright window. Because of the differential in exposure (you are obviously setting for the face) the window area is greatly over exposed and this gives a halo/flare effect which is unavoidable. I presume shots with the key light behind the camera gave no focus problem?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Martin Morris
on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:56:39 am

Since we used the peaking function and zoomed in to get the focus I think it could be the back focus. We had an issue with the back focus before.It was after a flight (were the camera was obviously (mis)handeled like any other luggage) even though it was in a Peli case. But then it was detectable in the VF. This time the picture was still in perfect focus. But I'll try to recreate the last set but with a freshly aligned back focus.

Thanks all for your contribution...

Cheers
Martin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]