FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony HDR-FX1 - Record to External Hard Drive

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin DeShields
Sony HDR-FX1 - Record to External Hard Drive
on Sep 16, 2011 at 2:32:12 pm

My apologies for not putting this in the right forum. Didn't see one for this particular camera. I'm trying to help a friend of mine who just bought a Sony HDR-FX1. He swears that it can record directly to an external hard drive connected via firewire. The manual seems to support this claim but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it. He bought it from a guy who gave him a Lacie Rugged drive (bus powered via firewire) and said that that was all he used. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Sony HDR-FX1 - Record to External Hard Drive
on Sep 16, 2011 at 5:08:45 pm

You cannot record to off the shelf data drives. You need a recordable HDD such as the HVR-DR60, FireStore FS4 etc. These are designed to take the video stream and encode it to a file. An ordinary HDD has no way of doing this. I think your friend may have had a computer in between the camera and the drive, as that's really the only way to record to a standard drive. The manual says you can record to i.LINK compatible devices but a standard external HDD would not fall into this category.

Hope that helps..

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Kevin DeShields
Re: Sony HDR-FX1 - Record to External Hard Drive
on Sep 16, 2011 at 5:17:50 pm

Thanks. It sounds like the guy lied to him who sold him the camera (the guy he bought it from said he could do this with the Lacie rugged drive, which I thought was not probable). Again, thanks for the help. I'll pass the word on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]