FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions regarding converting SD .avi to SD .mov files for FCP7

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Moser
Questions regarding converting SD .avi to SD .mov files for FCP7
on Sep 14, 2011 at 1:49:38 pm

What is the most efficient way to convert my SD files recorded to the BPAV folder of my PMW-350 to files that are usable by Final Cut Pro 7?

First of all, in this case are the .avi files in the CLPR folder all that is really needed (unlike HD files)?

- How does XDCam Browser work in this situation?...It seems to only offer conversion to .mxf files, not, .mov files in this case...If I double click on the mxf file, then XDCAM EX Clip Browser opens and that program converts it to a .mov file...This seems redundant. Shouldn't the newer XDCam Browser do this?

- If this is the way the conversion is supposed to work, is there a better, more efficient way to rewrap the files? Am I losing quality along the way?

- Finally is it necessary to do this at all anyway...Will FCP7 convert the files through rendering to something it will be able to use?
...BTW, I brought in test .avi files and got the dialog that they were not optimized for use for FCP and it recommended converting them...When I brought them in anyway, they needed to be rendered but seemed ok...

Anyway...what am I missing here and what is the ideal way to do this?

Thanks,
Michael Moser

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
Re: Questions regarding converting SD .avi to SD .mov files for FCP7
on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:03:29 pm

Check this thread out mate:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/200/894107

Carrrrrrr Carrrrrrrrrrrrr

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:35:36 pm

You can use XDCAM Browser or the Sony Log and Transfer add-in to convert DV .AVIs to DV .MOVs.

XDCAM Browser needs to be run in plugin mode to do MOV conversions. Launch it from within FCP by selecting File-->Import-->Sony XDCAM Browser. Select the clips you want to import and and then click the 'Register for Final Cut Pro' button under the monitor or File-->Register... This will rewrap the files; they'll be stored in the location you select in Browser's preferences and automatically mapped to the currently open FCP project.

The Log and Transfer add-in enables Log and Transfer to handle EX files (rewrap only-- they will not be transcoded).

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:23:27 pm

Thanks Ian and Russ-
When I searched it, I didn't get that recent link...
I was making the conversion outside FCP, so I'll try it in plug-in mode as well.
Best,
Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:28:43 pm

Ian-
There is no problem with re-wrapping the .avi files, correct? There's no loss in quality or functionality in FCP, right?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:34:24 pm

No, there shouldn't be any loss in quality or functionality. You can leave them in AVI format if you are concerned; FCP will warn you that they're "not optimized" but it will take them. It's best to convert to MOV for both performance reasons and also because FCP's Media Manager has limitations when managing non-MOV files.

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:53:35 pm

Ian-
I've had no problem with the workflow for HD files.

However, with these SD files, when I try to import them within FCP using the log and transfer plug-in as well as opening the transfer program, they show up as unsupported files. When I try to open the transfer program within FCP, XDCam Transfer (v2.12.01) opens, not XDCam Browser (v1.2.0.193) which is also installed on the computer.
Is there a plug-in or path for Browser not there that I need to add?
If so, do you know where in the library it needs to go?

As I said, BPAV files containing HD footage transfer with no problem, but I've had to add SD footage to the workflow and this has been a problem getting straight...It seems that we don't need the BPAV structure for SD, only the files stored in the CLPR folder, which can be pre-converted or re-wrapped and imported without the use of log and transfer or the Browser programs. Am I correct here or am I missing something?
Thanks...
Michael

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:03:10 pm

You need to use XDCAM Browser, not XDCAM Transfer. They're different applications. (XDCAM Browser will eventually replace both XDCAM Transfer and XDCAM EX Clip Browser.) Transfer unfortunately does not support SD-AVI files.

If you have both XDCAM Transfer and XDCAM Browser on the same Mac, you'll see two different Import-->XDCAM options in the FILE menu, "Import Sony XDCAM" and "Import Sony XDCAM Browser." Select the latter.

Log and Transfer is part of FCP. For it to recognize EX files you have to install our Log and Transfer extension. This adds EX support. You can't import EX files without this add-on.

The XDCAM Browser plugin can be downloaded at sony.com/xdcam-downloads. The Log and Transfer add-on is currently not posted but I can get it to you if you need it.

Hope that clears things up...

Cheers

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:28:26 pm

I guess this is a problem for the FCP forum, but the only relevant choice under the File/Import menu is "Sony XDCam..." which then opens XDcam Transfer. There must be a way to manually register Browser with Final Cut Pro so both choices are recognized. Apparently it didn't happen when I installed Browser on this computer.
-Mike

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:53:00 pm

Try trashing your FCP preferences (user/library/preferences) if you have not already. If you are using any version of Browser with FCP 7 you should see the "Import--> Sony XDCAM Browser" option. Also make sure FCP lives in the default directory (/Applications).

Return to posts index

David Gudaitis
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:53:49 pm

If you have installed Log and Transfer Utility for Apple FCP Version 1.2, you can directly transfer the AVI files into your project. Version 1.0 will not recognize the folder, 1.2 will.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 16, 2011 at 6:52:11 am

Try MPGStreamclip.
Open the .AVI and "SAVE AS..QT".
Is just a re-wrapping.
Fast and easy.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Sep 21, 2011 at 5:14:14 pm

Thanks Raf. That's what we're doing...
I still have a few issues, but we're good-to-go.
-Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]