FORUMS: list search recent posts

MP4 to .Mov

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Carlin
MP4 to .Mov
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:13:03 pm

Hi,

Think i've made a bit of a mistake here! I had registered my files to final cut pro from XDCAM browser (i'd posted this yesterday) and then realised that the information on my footage in Browser was 50fps and 50i (i hadnt realised i was shooting 50fps) My fcp easy set up was set at 25 fps. My footage doesn't look great to be honest (i was using a pmw ex3) so i must have done something wrong.

All of the original mp4 files have been converted to .mov and stored in the sony file (under movies). I was looking to retrieve them so i can re-import after actually reading more into my settings insted of just jumpig straight in!

Am i right in thinking i've lost the original format of the files forever? I thought i'd backed up the files but it appears not.

Carrrrrrr Carrrrrrrrrrrrr

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: MP4 to .Mov
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:39:56 pm

When you import/rewrap using Browser or Transfer the files always are always imported in their native format, resolution and frame rate (e.g. XDCAM EX, HQ 1920, 23.98psf). There is no way to change this. You can make certain changes (adding pulldown etc) when you export to a new format from XDCAM Browser but not when sending to FCP. Check your footage in the source monitor or in QT with the scaling set to 100%. Make sure you're adding it to a sequence set for the same codec (at least for the purpose of checking the quality). With the default settings FCP will prompt you if you try to add a clip to a new sequence set to a different codec. If this is disabled you can always check the format of the sequence in the Compressor column in the FCP browser.

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
Re: MP4 to .Mov
on Sep 13, 2011 at 7:00:31 pm

Cheers for the reply mate. So the frame rate etc will be correct? It doesn't look as if there's a problem with the frame rate but the actual footage doesn't look too good. I did a lot of shooting outside too in decent light.

Also when i slowed down some footage to 90% it looked really jerky, is this something to do with de-interlacing?

Played one of the .mov files back in quicktime and it looked really grainy when blown up to full screen! any ideas?

Carrrrrrr Carrrrrrrrrrrrr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]