FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to light green screen or no?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Beeson
Need to light green screen or no?
on Sep 12, 2011 at 8:16:10 pm

Hope to shoot at this processing plant - I'll be shooting the assembly line in time-lapse, then I want to shoot a guy standing in front of the same line, but with a green screen behind him so I can slo him down while BG is in time-lapse, fun...

so I wonder do I need to light the green screen or just let natural light work on it? If need to light, do I need just two lights, what kinds? Area has very high ceiling (think COSTCO warehouse), sunlight as well as mercury vapor I think. Green screen is a 5x7, will be about 7 or 8 feet behind him. Shooting with SONY EX1R on a ATOMOS NINJA at pro res 422 HQ.

THX
K

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Need to light green screen or no?
on Sep 12, 2011 at 8:27:48 pm

Given the conditions, you might want to avoid shooting him at the location.
The size of the screen depends on whether he'll be full body or not.
You'll need lights for the screen as well as lights for the talent.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:35:06 am

Is it without any dialogue and can the guy hold relatively still for 10 minutes? You can shoot it live that way and it will look waaaaaay better than a green screen shot ever will. But it's a certain style.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Sep 13, 2011 at 3:24:51 am

Yeah, I thought of the stand still for 10 minutes shoot, but I can't make the CEO do that, plus it would be very hard for him...

I think if it's in the same exact place as the BG, within the same half hour, providing I light him and the green screen appropriately, it should come out...I really just didn't know if I need to bother with a light kit, but probably yes.

Thanks

K
http://www.effectivevideo.net

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 13, 2011 at 3:59:13 am

well if it's a lock off you could conceivably get away with rotoscoping a bit and no screen at all. But it really depends on the shot.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Sep 13, 2011 at 3:47:33 pm

Yes, yes, & yes. Lighting up the screen makes your life much easier. Make it bright and evenly lit. Then a light kit for your talent.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 13, 2011 at 4:02:09 pm

[Brent Dunn] "Make it bright and evenly lit"

Evenly lit yes. Bright can be a problem though. Brighter usually means more bounce back to the talent, creating spill issues. Chroma value (evenly lit for proper saturation) is more important than luminance. Light flat, not bright, for the screen. This is especially so if you're limited in how far away the talent can be from the screen.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:56:37 pm

That's true for a small screen when you can't separate yourself too far from the background. But, when you have ideal space, I light the crap out of it.. I backlight my subject to give separation and it kills any green spill onto the subject.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 13, 2011 at 7:42:53 pm

It sounds like he's in a bit of a lighting (color temperature, etc) nightmare situation so I'd tend to be caution about "containment." Personally I'd look for a room where you can kill the facility lights and setup one's own. I'm thinking a smaller room though but in a big room, blasting away, can be OK.

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:57:53 am

Thanks very much for everyone's input...I should have 7 or 8 feet room to put screen behind him, will light the screen flat but even, will light him, even with a back light as well, if I can. I will try to shoot in a separate room, but I do want it to match seamlessly with the assembly line natural light, so we'll see - either room or line, whichever works in post with the light.

Thanks

K
http://www.effectivevideo.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]