FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro Work flow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Ki Pro Work flow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:39:56 pm

We're shooting an event with two EX3 cameras and 2 Ki Pro's. I personally have never used these before, but my crew has. My questions is how do we transfer the footage to a hard drive for the client to take back to their shop? They'll be editing the footage. Usually we just transfer SXS cards.

Do I need to bring a Macbook pro to the event? Do I need the sony transfer software? Can someone walk me through the workflow? Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

John Street
Re: Ki Pro Work flow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:44:32 pm

Hi Greg,

The Ki Pro workflow is pretty simple. These units record on a regular firewire 800 hard drive that is inserted in the recorder. The drives hold either 250 GB or 500 GB, so one important thing is to make sure you have enough hard drive space to record your entire event. You can switch hard drives if one gets full but it's not a super speedy process. By the way, the Ki Pro typically wants to stop recording when the drive capacity is down to 10% ... this can be a surprise if you're not prepared for it.

Please read the manual to double check my information, but here's the workflow when you're done recording:
1. Press the "Slot" button on the Ki Pro and wait until it says "No Slot" ... It is unmounting the drive while you're waiting. If the Ki Pro has already been powered down you do not need to do this step.
2. Press the "Eject" button on the Ki Pro. This is the physical release for the drive.
3. Slide the drive out of its bay by pulling towards you (towards the keypad, not upwards)
4. You'll notice that the back of the drive has a single FW 800 port. Simply connect it to your computer by FW800 and transfer your files. Since the files are ProRes QuickTimes, they do not need to be re-wrapped or converted before use in Final Cut. There is not a complicated directory structure like there is for SxS cards, it's simply one file equals one clip.

Do not underestimate the time it will take to transfer these files!

Have fun!

--
John Street
http://www.inpoint.tv
Mac OS 10.6.6, FCS 7.0.3, QT 7.6.6, Mac Pro 2x3GHz Quad-Core, 16GB Ram

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Ki Pro Work flow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:01:51 pm

The Ki Pro records standalone MOV files. You can copy those using Mac Finder/Windows Explorer or using a secure file copy utility such as ShotPut Pro.

If you are also recording to the SxS cards and need to copy those, you should use Clip Browser 2.6, XDCAM Browser 1.2/1.3 or ShotPut Pro. These will do verified copies of the EX file and folder structure. If you use the Sony software, make sure 'Perform CRC check after copy' is enabled in the Preferences (in the EDIT tab).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]