FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a suitable shoulder brace to hold the EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pushpanatha de Silva
Looking for a suitable shoulder brace to hold the EX1
on Sep 11, 2011 at 12:00:03 am

Hi

I am looking forward to purchase a shoulder brace to hold my EX1 when recording long hours of events. I would appreciate if any one of you mention the brand, price, website any other comments on the unit u are using at present. Thanks

Dell Workstation T7500
Dell HD Monitors
Sony PMW EX1

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
Re: Looking for a suitable shoulder brace to hold the EX1
on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:36:52 pm

I spent a fair amount of time looking for something myself. I'm trying out Sony's VCT SP1BP. It's obviously not a shoulder mount and I've never used anything like this before. It does take a little work to initially set it up.

First you put the vest on, but keep the straps loose.
Then put the monopod in the holster.
Then clip the two straps onto the vest and then onto the monopod.
Then snap the camera onto the monopod, using the supplied mount.
Then, adjust all the straps as well as the monopod length/height to get the viewfinder/camera where you need it.

It takes a little practice, to find the best position. But once you do, you should be set. For me, given the location of the view finder, I actually have it setup a little to the right, not dead center. Depending on how tall, or more importantly not tall, you are, the off center arrangement might be more comfortable. Anatomically speaking.

The interesting thing about this setup, is that all the weight of the camera is supported by the monopod/vest. Not a single shoulder. Plus the straps keep the camera in place. The straps that attache to the monopod and the vest allow you to actually let go of the camera. You can even move the camera around to see various switches and settings, including the lens, without removing the camera or any of the straps. Which I found useful shooting in the rain.

I can easily white balance the camera by myself. With the camera fully supported, I can grab a white balance card with one hand, hold it out front and hit the WB button with the other hand. Maybe you can do this with a shoulder mount, but I can't.

The quick release on the monopod allows you to get some handheld shots if necessary, or just set it down.

The weight is more distributed than a shoulder mount and more evenly. You spend a lot less effort holding up the camera. Instead, your effort is spent using the camera.

The monopod is pretty solid. No issues that I can see supporting the weight of an EX1R. It also includes a wired remote, if you want to use the camera with the monopod extended above your head. Which I've never done.

It's an odd setup, at least I thought so. But so far, I find it's working very well for what I'm doing. But I think it does depend on what you are doing and how long you are shooting. Especially if you are moving around.

Search for Sony's PDF on it, if you are interested. It has some pictures to better understand how it works.

VCT SP1BP Camera Support.pdf (sorry, I don't have the link, just google the description)

As with many Sony accessories, it's not cheap. But I find that if something works for you, then it's worth the price. So far, I like it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:53:54 pm

Seems to be a different model since you mention SP1BP and this is SP2BP.

Sony VCT-SP2BP Camcorder Shoulder Support
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674695-REG/Sony_VCT_SP2BP_VCT_SP2BP_C...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:55:17 pm

SP1BP

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/538260-REG/Sony_VCT_SP1BP_VCT_SP1BP_M...

Return to posts index

Tim Tierney
on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:31:13 pm

I like the Sony monopod that attaches to a kind of vest which gives me a kind of bodypod.
The VCT-SP1BP makes me feel like I'm carrying the flag in a parade with that cup thing and I haven't had any use of the electronic gizmo thing because it doesn't interface with the EX1.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:55:22 pm

I have tried three units. They all have short comings. I sent one back and kept two of them. They are surprisingly cheap.
This one is reviewed by Phil Bloom on his website and is refereed to as the El Cheapo: http://www.cowboystudio.com/product/c14/c1411.php

This one is actually well made and very inexpensive.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/210200-REG/Davis_Sanford_SS3C_Steady_...

Neither one has a quick release mount unfortunately. I shot a bunch of handheld yesterday and because I was changing angles and heights so quickly, I found that neither unit was of use in that situation.
However, in a simple event coverage type of situation, both would be useful.

Bob

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 13, 2011 at 11:51:11 am

Wrong Bob, I have the support reviewed by Bloom and I do have a quick release function. You have to specify a small extra attachment for the base that's all. I shoot a lot of 'on the go' material for documentaries and have found this support quite invaluable. It's light, it's cheap and I can fit and release in seconds. The only drawback might be that it's not easy to get the camera high enough for eye level shots. But with the lightweight of the EX 1 I imagine it's easier than with the heavier EX 3.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:18:46 pm

Hmmm. That's good to know. Where did you purchase yours? I would like to get that attachment. Thx.

Bob

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:35:28 pm

Mark, I don't know where in the world you live but I'm in the UK and I got the CVP Shoulder Brace from my suppliers top-teks.co.uk who themselves obtained the kit from mitcorp.com. I made a particular point of requesting the quick release attachment.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:46:22 pm

I'm in the US. It looks like B&H offers a Bogen quick release for the "El Cheapo." It actually costs more than the shoulder mount.

Bob

Return to posts index

Pushpanatha de Silva
on Sep 17, 2011 at 12:30:12 pm

Thx Bob, I have ordered both braces...Thx for ur INPUT. Prices are very reasonable too only hitch was the unavailability of quick release...hope I will get one of those soon...Thx..

Dell Workstation T7500
Dell HD Monitors
Sony PMW EX1

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 17, 2011 at 3:01:09 pm

Here are a couple of options on quick release.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=manfrotto+quick+connect+adapter&N=...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554151-REG/Manfrotto_357_357_Pro_Quic...

They may not work with all tripods because they are designed for Bogen. Apparently, they work on Vinten and others.

Bob

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:22:27 am

olof at westsideav.com makes a great shoulder brace. i use anton bauer batteries and his has the ab mount, combine this with the hoodman loupe and its very balanced and runtimes are very long

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]