FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Browser converting SxS file and writing to PDW-U1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herbert Forsberg
XDCAM Browser converting SxS file and writing to PDW-U1
on Sep 10, 2011 at 6:27:13 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to convert a 1920x1080/23.98 file from an SxS card and write it to an XDCAM disc in a PDW-U1 deck. I'm using XDCAM Browser Version 1.10 (1.1.0.182). I'd like to convert the file to XDCAM DVCAM (which is an option that shows up when I right click the source file). While attempting this, when I get to the 'export destination' window and choose 'execute', I get an error message window, and when I check the context of the clip, it says to 'Modify the output file name'. I've tried various combinations of names in an attempt to modify the file name, and have tried other conversion options but without any success.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks much,

Herb Forsberg
Cinematographer
NY/NJ
Local 600/NABET 16

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: XDCAM Browser converting SxS file and writing to PDW-U1
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:24:27 pm

Hi Herb,

Assuming you have the PDW-U1 driver installed (required to write to disc), open the bundled U-1 controller application, go to User Settings and set 'Naming 'Form' to 'Free.' If this is not set the disc can only accept files with generic XDCAM file names (C0001.mxf etc). An easy way to verify this-- can you write the file to your desktop?

If you don't have the driver/utility installed the drive may still show up but as a read-only device without the correct file/folder structure. If, when browsing the drive, you see only PRO AV and GENERAL folders, you do not have the driver installed. You can download/update from http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads

Let me know...

Cheers,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Herbert Forsberg
on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:25:55 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

I reinstalled the driver from the link you sent; the naming form in the U1 Utility is set to 'free'; I can do a convert to my desktop as either XDCAM DVCAM or raw DV. But when I attempt to write it to a newly formatted disc in the U1, I run into the same problem.

Here's what I'm doing:
I choose a clip in the explorer window of XDCAM Browser; I right click and choose export and choose one of the options (XDCAM DVCAM or raw DV);when the export destination window comes up, I choose the untitled disc in the U1; I hit the 'execute' button. A message window comes up saying, "Error occured during the export. Please refer to the details from the context on each clip". I click ok to close that error message window. I right clip on the clip in the list; it shows "Error detail Modify the output file name". But if I change the destination to the desktop, the conversion goes right through.

Thanks,
Herb

Herb Forsberg
Cinematographer
NY/NJ
Local 600/NABET 16

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:49:40 pm

What firmware version is reported in the U1ility? If it is not 2.4.5, can you select Update Firmware from the sidebar in the utility and run the firmware updater? I just tested this with driver 2.3.0/firmware 2.4.5 and a 1080/24p EX clip and it's working fine for me.

Make sure you select DVCAM and not RAW DV (although it sounds like it's failing either way?). What's the Output File Name?

Let me know re the above.

Best,

Ian

Return to posts index

Herbert Forsberg
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:06:44 pm

Hi Ian,

Although the firmware showed as 2.450, I updated it anyway. My version of U1 Utility is 2.3.2. Still failing. The input file name is 501_0046_01.mp4 and the attempted file output name is 501_0046_01.mxf. The clip in question is also 1080/23.98p.

Thanks,
Herb

Herb Forsberg
Cinematographer
NY/NJ
Local 600/NABET 16

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:16:56 pm

Are you exporting directly to /Clip? Can you export locally and then copy to /Clip?

If it's still failing can you try updating Browser? A link to 1.3 is below. If that fails I'd like to send you a clip of mine to test with, or ask that you send me a clip..

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k0kpc5

Return to posts index

Herbert Forsberg
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:29:42 pm

Hi Ian,

I figured it was something simple that I was missing, and it was. I wasn't selecting /clip; I was just selecting the drive. It is now working fine.

Thanks so much for helping me with this!

All Best,
Herb

Herb Forsberg
Cinematographer
NY/NJ
Local 600/NABET 16

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]