FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firmware Update/ Extended Warranty Coverage?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Chapuis
Firmware Update/ Extended Warranty Coverage?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 6:13:49 pm

I have an EX3 that's on version 1.02 and from reading all the posts I see that trying to upgrade on your own is not the way to go with such an old version.

Do any of you know if a firmware update is covered by the sony warranty. I bought the extended sony warranty from B&H and was hoping that this would cover it. When I contacted Sony LA last week they said it was covered in an email to me. I called Sony LA today to get shipping info and explain that I needed a firmware update and the person on the phone said it wasn't and that it would cost $270. I told them about my email and they said that they were wrong?

What's the deal?! Does anyone know what the true answer is? Can I get this done elsewhere cheaper and just as good. Can I get this done elsewhere and have be covered by the warranty.

Thanks much,

Marc Chapuis
VibeRant Media

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Firmware Update/ Extended Warranty Coverage?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 6:36:13 pm

Hi Marc-

Yes, unfortunately you do have to send it in to be upgraded from a version that low. This is not covered under warranty and never has been so whoever told you that was in error. Sorry for any confusion it may have caused.

Ian

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Firmware Update/ Extended Warranty Coverage?
on Sep 9, 2011 at 5:15:13 pm

Yup, not covered, but it is worth it to let someone who know's how to do it take care of your camera. It's a lot more expensive to trash your camera.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite