FORUMS: list search recent posts

DoF Adapter to rid myself of the DSLR?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Suchodolski
DoF Adapter to rid myself of the DSLR?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 3:58:46 am

I've been debating for the longest time about getting rid of my very cumbersome DSLR setup to hop over to a Sony EX1R. As i'm sure anyone here knows it's a decent chunk of money to spend to get such a video camera. And coming from shooting all my footage with a Canon 5D (Mostly Wedding work and some personal shorts but a TON of Wedding work. Looking to film a documentary really soon however.) I wonder if a DoF adapter will make me feel at home if I were to switch.

I still can't really track down if DoF adapters are going the way of the dodo or not. I'm not particularly versed with them so does anyone have any light to shed on the subject? I also hear the Redrock M3 is quite nice.

I'm basically sick of the crazy rig I have to have to continue using my 5D with such blatant issues (moire/aliasing/audio).

Is an EX1R and a DoF adapter a good investment? Or is it not logical anymore. I'm more fond of the gains I get from the EX1R than the FS100 as well since it seems to have missed some key things such as ND filters etc. Seems the AF100 did better however I do not like the sensor size really it's rather small.

Enough rambling does anyone have sound guidance?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: DoF Adapter to rid myself of the DSLR?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:32:13 am

You'll get a lot of good subjective answers but you really need to do an ROI and cost benefit analysis.
It is my understanding that setting up a DOF adaptor will give you no real ease of use over an FS100.

When you consider the cost of an EX1R, a good DOF adaptor, you may well be close enough to the cost of an F3 to consider that.

With the advent of large sensor cameras, I personally think DOF adaptors are on the decline. The real question is the ROI you'd get from it.

While both the FS100 and AF100 may have compromises, you might consider way some are moving in that direction and compare the cost of ownership of one vs that of EX1r and DOF adaptor.

When you consider the awkwardness of a DSLR for video you have to consider the awkwardness of use a DOF adaptor and all its support gear and time to setup as well.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:38:29 pm

If I were to buy a camera right now, it would be the AF100. I don't know what you mean by a small sensor, it's a cinematic sensor. It will give your the video camera feel and tools, while allowing you to use your current DSLR lenses.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:01:53 pm

I have the Red Rock Micro "Encore" and it works really good on the EX1. I might be interested in selling it because I have the new F3.

Let me know

mike@michaelpalmerdp.com

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]