FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firmware for 32GB class 10 and EX1??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Firmware for 32GB class 10 and EX1??
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:57:58 pm

Hi folks. What version of the EX1 firmware do I need for 32GB class cards? I'm on v 1.11 and I can't find v. 1.12 online anywhere.

I just bought a couple of Sandisk 32GB class 10 and they won't format with v. 1.11. Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Firmware for 32GB class 10 and EX1??
on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:02:41 pm

I'm still on 1.11 as well. Try each card twice in a row. Oddly that worked for me with the cards I'm using. It'll attempt and fail the first time and succeed the second. It's a repeatable pattern for me.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:36:27 pm

I tried that and then it said media needs to be restored. I'm trying a long format right now with the Panasonic SDFormater. I called Sony today about the firmware update and they said it was not necessary to update in succession if you were at version 1.11. They gave me an FTP site address to download the update, but it required a password and ID, so I will have to call them back for that. Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:05:23 pm

[Bob Mark] "I tried that and then it said media needs to be restored."

Formatting twice in a row and you got that message on the second attempt? I don't remember the wording I got but it was a fail on the first attempt and worked on the second. Even on the fail I don't think I got a message about "media needs to be restored." That sounds like a message one gets on a recording not formatting.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Aug 20, 2011 at 12:19:24 am

Yep. That's what it does. It says needs to be formatted and when I hit it it tries to do it and then says needs to be restored. The long format I did didn't help. The guys at e-film says it should work, so I am assuming it's the firmware version?? The cards I'm trying are Sandisk Extreme HD Video 32gb sdhc class 10. I am going to wait until my next two shoots are over and then I might try the update to 1.20.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:03:17 pm

FWIW, Sony says they will do the update for $270 with 8 day turn around. Macie Video will do it for $165, not sure about the turn around. Macie Video Service- 781-326-3135. camcorderrepair.com says they will do it for $125.00.

Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:14:01 pm

Key is will the non Sony places warranty the repair on the small chance the camera is bricked. I'd guess so but I'd ask first.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Aug 22, 2011 at 5:43:27 pm

That's a good point. They all say they warranty the repairs for a certain time period. I wonder what they would charge to fix a locked up unit... BTW, e-films says you should format SDHC in slot B. They say their adapters work with class 10 and v. 1.2 firmware.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Aug 23, 2011 at 12:33:50 pm

I asked one shop what happens if the camera doesn't update properly and requires an expensive repair. This is his answer, which is not really a direct answer:

"We did update many of the pmw-ex1, we never had a problem, we are using highest sony equipment and sony factory trained tech." "Sony pmw-ex1: We charge $125.00 for firmware update
Our estimates include parts, labor and cleaning the unit inside and out as well as re-calibrating and re-aligning it to factory specifications. Free ground return shipping to the continental United States."

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 2, 2011 at 6:40:25 pm

I never could format the Snadisk class 10 32GB card with v.1.11 firmware. Don't know if it was the class rating or the size that caused the problem.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 3, 2011 at 6:10:32 pm

One other possibility why the cards won't format. The Sandisk cards I bought say UHS-I. That may be the issue. I just purchased a new extreme MxR adapter (don't have it yet). http://e-films.com.au/shoppingcart/products/MxR-Extreme-Expresscard-Adapter... It will work with UHS-I cards, plus it will over and under crank. I think I will still need the firmware update. Have to find a place that can turn it around quickly. If anybody knows of one they have used please pass it along.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 9, 2011 at 5:50:49 pm

Well, I just received the MxR Extreme adapter and all I can say is WOW!
My 32 GB Sandisk SDHC UHS-1 class 10 card formatted in about three seconds and so far, tests have been great. Several minutes of over cranking multiple times without any errors. Record light goes green in about 2.5 sec. I will be doing more tests. So far, so good!

Bob

Return to posts index

Joel Shaul
on May 25, 2012 at 5:00:12 pm

Bob,

What version firmware do you have installed?

Shaul

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 25, 2012 at 5:11:31 pm

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]