FORUMS: list search recent posts

slow motion with ex3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Laurens
slow motion with ex3
on Aug 19, 2011 at 3:52:00 pm

hi there
intend to shoot half of my upcoming student film in slow motion but realized that 50 fps as the 7d and other low cost cameras offer it is not really slow enough. was wondering if i could achieve a better slo-mo effect with an ex3 recording to a nano flash at 50 or 60 fps since the higher bitrate would allow for more control in post when slowing it down. at least that's what i heard. what would be the best option for slow-mo beyond a 7d's 50fps?

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: slow motion with ex3
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:25:39 pm

I shoot slo mo often and the EX-3 does a fantastic job. It is a very smooth slo mo that looks wonderful. I shoot at 60 fps and love it.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
New convert to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:27:45 pm

the EX cameras go up to 60 fps @ 720 and 30 fps @ 1080. If you use a Nano you can record in the native XDCAM EX codec at data rates beyond what can be recorded on the camera. Make sure you set the nano up correctly as you can set it for native 60 or for 24 over 60 with 2:3 pulldown removal. It's the former that you want..

Return to posts index

Sebastian Laurens
on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:35:37 pm

thanx 4 the info, m still unclear though about whether the slo-mo effect actually benefits from a higher bitrate or if that doesnt make a difference at all cuz even at 200mbps 60 fps are only 60 fps, or am i wrong?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:30:09 pm

There are other factors beside the bit rate which impact the quality of the slow mo if done in post.
You can certainly use Optical Flow in post but be aware there is a host of potential problems with that. It's no replacement for a Phantom or equivalent camera.

The prediction algorithms used to create new frames sometimes results in "watery" artifacts depending on what the moving object crosses in a frame. Generally you'd want clean simple backgrounds. You'd want to avoid multiple moving objects crossing each other. Sometimes the only way to know for sure is to do a test shoot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]