FORUMS: list search recent posts

firmware update on SONY EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Perelmuter
firmware update on SONY EX3
on Aug 18, 2011 at 3:37:06 am

How I can check firmware version on my EX3. I know they added in OTHERS Menu on V1.10. Is there a way?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: firmware update on SONY EX3
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:31:44 pm

it's only in the OTHERS menu with later issue firmware. if you don't see it there you need to enable the extended maintenance menus. press MENU, the menu wheel and the Cancel button simultaneously. this opens the regular menu with a few added categories. scroll down to IF ('Information') and you'll find VERSION info there.

Return to posts index

Misbah Mahfujur
on Jan 19, 2014 at 11:38:42 am

How do I update firmware on EX 3?

I'm trying to use sonnet SDHC Memory card adapter that can be used on sony ex3 with SDXC card... But when I insert the card with the adapter it don't recognise and ask me to change it. What should I do?is it because I may have old firmware?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 20, 2014 at 4:34:49 pm

Check your current version first by going into the extended menu (press menu + menu wheel + cancel-->IF menu-->VERSION). If you are at 1.05 or higher contact support and they will provide the firmware update. If you are below 1.05 the camera has to be updated by Sony. You can reach support at 800 883 6816 or bis.product.support@am.sony.com .

Return to posts index

Misbah Mahfujur
on Jan 20, 2014 at 4:37:03 pm

Currently i have V1.04_0084

Return to posts index

Misbah Mahfujur
on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:57:50 pm

Hello,

i have contacted sony and they are sending me V1.30 to update my firmware which is V1.04. They are saying it is possible to update from v1.04 to v1.30.

Does anyone knows where can i get instructions on how to update the EX3?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:39:50 pm

Are you in the states? We do not send out the firmware unless you are at 1.05 or higher. Please do not try to update your camera. You run the risk of rendering it inoperable.

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Misbah Mahfujur
on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:56:02 pm

I'm in the UK...

Return to posts index

Misbah Mahfujur
on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:01:28 pm

This is exactly what they said...

"Thank you for your phone call a few moments ago.

I can confirm that you can upgrade from version 1.04 to 1.30 using the version up tool"

They are sending me the file through their FTP site...

I'm not sure what to do, it might cost me if I take it to them directly.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:27:29 pm

Noone in the US support office would have told you that and I strongly advise you not to upgrade from below 1.05. This is not a new policy nor is it an arbitrary one.

Return to posts index

Misbah Mahfujur
on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:40:28 pm

Thanks, I won't do it...I will call them and speak to them directly...

Return to posts index

Ricardo Leite
on Jun 1, 2014 at 2:36:44 pm

Hey what did you do? I also want to update my firmware since mine is 1.04 but i live in Portugal, is already a way to update besides sending camera to SONY?

Return to posts index

Misbah Mahfujur
on Jun 2, 2014 at 7:55:14 pm

I got the upgrade firmware directly from sony, buying didn't have to right computer eg. Windows, that's why I could t do it by myself. I took it to a camera service centre in London and they did it for me while I waited.

Return to posts index

Rick Frandsen
on Jun 24, 2015 at 10:05:08 pm

My EX3 has 1.05. Can I upgrade this myself? Do I need to do it in steps? Where can I find the firmware upgrades? The Sony web page directs me to a toll free phone number that told me to send it to Sony for $270.

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on Oct 13, 2014 at 7:52:48 am

Hi,

my EX3 is at version 1.1. What is the latest version? How do I go about getting it upgraded? Do I have to go step by step from 1.10 to 1.15, 1.16, 1.17, 1.18, 1.20, etc.? Where can I download the firmware?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ann

Return to posts index

Misbah Mahfujur
on Oct 13, 2014 at 11:03:02 am

You can download version up tools and do it by yourself, but you have to make sure you read the whole manual carefully and follow every step as they said. Second option take it to a service center, they will do it for you, I paid £75 for it. The person in the service centre says, it's easy to do it and you can do it by yourself.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 13, 2014 at 2:30:17 pm

http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads

you can go straight to the latest version.

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on Oct 16, 2014 at 9:29:45 pm

Thanks, Ian.

I clicked on the link you sent me, and selected "XDCAM EX Memory Camcorders and Decks, For models: PMW-320, PMW-350, PMW-500, PMW-EX1R, PMW-EX3, and PMW-F3" . Under there, there's PMW-EX3 Version 1.16. Under there, there is a line says "Please contact Sony Technical Support at 1-800-883-6817, options 2,5,2 for upgrade assistance". When I click on "PMW-EX3 Version 1.16", this is what I got:

Solid-State Memory Camcorder
Video Products
Technical Bulletin 30-2011-096
DATE: June 13, 2011
MODEL: PMW-EX1 PMW-EX3
SERIAL NO: ALL
SUBJECT: FIRMWARE UPGRADE INFORMATION
DESCRIPTION
To order firmware upgrades and for detailed firmware upgrade instructions, contact Sony’s:
Product Operation Support Center (POSC) 800-883-6817
CAUTION: Before upgrading to firmware V1.26 or higher, firmware must first be upgraded to V1.13 or higher.

I think "CAUTION: Before upgrading to firmware V1.26 or higher, firmware must first be upgraded to V1.13 or higher." is for EX1, because I had problem with upgrading directly to 1.26 with EX1 before. I don't see any thing for EX3.

Thanks,
Ann

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 16, 2014 at 9:52:48 pm

sorry, an update to the site is pending. we changed the firmware installer to remove the start version requirement. you can now safely update an EX3 from 1.0 or higher. i have the firmware on an FTP; please download from there. ftp://pmw-ex3:sony@65.196.27.198

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on Oct 16, 2014 at 9:57:28 pm

Thanks for your quick response, Ian! So I can now directly upgrade from 1.17 to 1.3 with the file you provided?

Return to posts index

Ted Adams
on Nov 19, 2014 at 1:23:40 am

Im on version 1.02_0078, am i able to update to the latest firmware or not? I spoke with tech suupport last week and they said you must be v 1.05 or higher.

according Ian you can do it no is this true?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 19, 2014 at 3:38:52 am

yes, as stated above you can now update to any production level version from 1.0 or higher.

Return to posts index

Ted Adams
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:14:32 pm

I am now getting a message that the camera is not connected. I am able to browse both card slots - camera is in USB mode?

thanks for the updates

Return to posts index

benamir mujanovic
on Mar 11, 2015 at 11:08:56 pm

Ted,
Did the upgrade from 1.02 to 1.30 worked for you?

Return to posts index

Misbah Mahfujur
on Mar 12, 2015 at 1:30:58 am

Yes it worked for me. I took it to a Camera service centre, I didn't wanted to take the risk as well as I didn't had the right computer to do it step by step.

Return to posts index

benamir mujanovic
on Mar 13, 2015 at 1:47:41 am

This is official. I called Sony today, they've confirmed again that it's completely safe to upgrade the EX3 camera to 1.30 (latest firmware) from any other version including 1.02. 1.03 and 1.04. I did the upgrade by my self, straight from 1.02 to 1.30 without problems. I was using the iMAC 27". Make sure you have fully charged battery, and AC adapter connected to the camera. Also make sure you are using the right USB port, which is found on the bottom of the camera underneath the shoulder pad. You will need a screwdriver to remove the plastic cover to get the USB port exposed. Follow the instructions given by the VersionUp tool software. At one point you will need to turn the camera off for 30 seconds (without removing the battery or AC cable) Make sure you don't move the On/Off switch accidentally to the VTR position while turning the camera Off.
Once it says the upgrade is complete, turn the camera off remove USB cable, remove the battery and disconnect the cable. Then put the battery back in, and turn the camera On.

Return to posts index

Alex Flame
on Feb 22, 2016 at 4:04:07 pm
Last Edited By Alex Flame on Feb 22, 2016 at 5:17:11 pm

Hi,

Is anyone able to confirm what people have said in the previous posts? - That it's now safe to upgrade an EX3 from any firmware version now?

I have an EX3 with version 1.02 and want to upgrade to the latest version

Are there any more cases of personal experiences or any official statement/document which says so?

Thanks

Return to posts index

benamir mujanovic
on Feb 22, 2016 at 5:30:02 pm

Just last week I've upgraded EX3 with V1.02 to the latest 1.30 But remember, only the version V1.30 is safe to be upgraded to from any other version. You have to be very patient. The upgrade from 1.02 lasts for at least 15 minutes in two stages and at some point between two stages requires a restart of the camera. It is important to follow the instructions on the screen. If it says "Turn the camera off and wait 30 seconds" between two stages. Turn the camera off (do not remove battery at that point) use the clock to count 30 seconds. Then turn the camera On and click the OK button to run the second stage of the upgrade.
The restart of the camera between two stages is the only time where you have to turn the camera off and On. DO NOT turn the camera off for any other reason until you see the message "The upgrade is complete, press Exit button to exit the upgrade" on your computer screen (even if the screen doesn't show any progress for several minutes). If you have more questions post it here I will be glad to answer. I have upgraded at least six EX3 cameras from different versions to the latest 1.30 without problems. In some cases with higher versions, the upgrade lasts 3-5 minutes.
Remember:
- DO NOT use the USB port located on the side of the camera for upgrade. The right USB port needed for the upgrade is located on the bottom of the camera underneath the shoulder mount behind the small plastic piece. You will need a screwdriver in order to remove that plastic piece.
- Make sure you plug the USB right way.
- The Turn On/Off button is the only button on the camera used during the upgrade.

Return to posts index

Alex Flame
on Feb 22, 2016 at 9:30:57 pm

Thanks for the quick response :)

I decided to bite the bullet after reading your reply and it worked.. successfully upgraded to 1.30 from 1.02.. thanks!

Return to posts index

benamir mujanovic
on Mar 12, 2015 at 2:09:43 am

Ian,
Just one more time, I have 1.02 version, so I can go straight to 1.30
I have updated several of EX3 cameras to 1.30, but this is the first one with 1.02

Return to posts index

benamir mujanovic
on Feb 22, 2016 at 7:46:07 pm

Yes you can go straight from 1.02 to 1.30
I did it already with no problems. Just follow the instructions that you are getting from the Sony software during the upgrade. Read the PDF file instructions that came with the 1.30 zip file

Return to posts index

Alan Craven
on Feb 23, 2016 at 9:04:54 am

I am still rather concerned about this upgrade, as we have always been told that the firmware MUST be 1.05 or above for DIY update. I have just downloaded the latest version 1.30, and it says in the Installation instructions:

"To check the current version
To display the version, select “Version” from the
OTHERS menu.
If your current version is 1.00 or more, you can use the
Version Up Tool to upgrade to the latest version."

This seems quite clear, so I must pluck up courage and go ahead!

Return to posts index

Alan Craven
on Feb 28, 2016 at 1:06:09 pm

Went from 1.04 direct to 1.30 in about 20 minutes. One re-boot of the camera only at "50%".

One thing that threw me was that the camera screen was blank when switching on at the start. I had an anxious few minutes checking connections before I realised that ALL messages appear on the computer. The only obvious activity on the camera is that the tally lamp is lit during the two periods when data is being transferred to the camera, and flashing whilst the actual updating takes place.

Return to posts index

neji njim
on Jul 19, 2016 at 4:12:55 pm

Following thre threads about updating my PMW-EX3 from V1.04 to newer version makes me very confused.
I tried to download the firmware from the ftp://pmw-ex3:sony@65.196.27.198 Iwent directly to readme file and it is indicated the following:

"PMW-EX3 must be at a minimum version of 1.05 to apply upgrades.
If you are above 1.05 but below 1.15, Update to version V1.15 first, and then upgrade to the latest version.

If your device is below the minimum version, applying a firmware upgrade can render the camera inoperable. Sony is not responsible for improperly applied/installed firmware upgrades.

Cameras below the minimum version must be sent in and updated by Sony. Please contact 866-766-9272 if you need to arrange an upgrade."

with modification date "may the 10th 2016

Some posts confirm that it is safe to upgrade to V1.30 only from 1.04 or less
Can you please confirm that it is safe to upgrade from v1.04 to v1.30?

Return to posts index

Alan Craven
on Jul 20, 2016 at 1:57:06 pm

What Isaid in the two posts immediately above yours still stands! My EX3 is still working correctly.

It looks as though you got your firmware download from a different source to me.

Return to posts index

Alan Craven
on Jul 20, 2016 at 2:06:59 pm

What I said in the two posts immediately above yours still stands! My EX3 is still working correctly.

It looks as though you got your firmware download from a different source to me.To do this from early versions of the firmware you need V 1.30 NOT the V 1.16 which is offered on the Sony site.

You can get the correct version from:

ftp://pmw-ex3:sony@65.196.27.198

This source is given by Ian Cook in a post from a couple of years ago.

Return to posts index

Dan Gunn
on Aug 13, 2016 at 4:45:11 pm

I read the whole thread and it gave me hope. I have an old warhorse.....EX-1.....V1.02 _ 0337.

I have called Sony twice but have not heard back. Surprising as they are usually very professional. I follow a policy that if it ain't broke don't fix it but now I need to make a firmware update to be able to use larger capacity cards.

So, has anyone successfully updated an EX-1from V1.02?

BTW, this is the best camera I have ever owned......not one single glitch!!!

Return to posts index

Jacqueline Bazinet Tolson
on Feb 22, 2017 at 7:22:00 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know if using a USB cable that is not the original supplied USB cable makes a difference? It's been a long time since I updated firmware, and the original cable is MIA. I have a call into Sony right now but they are busy and I am waiting for a call back. In the meantime, I thought I'd ask you fine folks.

Thanks in advance!

Jacquie Bazinet
Producer/Editor
San Diego, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]