FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green cast to Sony F3 footage

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Bucy
Green cast to Sony F3 footage
on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:37:44 am

I just noticed my F3 footage is noticeably better color balanced when recorded to a KiPro than is when recorded with the on-board recorder. I might have chalked this up to the bit difference between XDCAM-EX and ProRes but my EX1 does not exhibit this casting even while it uses the same compression scheme as the F3. It would seem the cast is being added during F3's compression stage and is not inherent in the camera's video signal. Anyone else notice this?

The image is two stills taken at the exact same time, mirrored for comparison, one to the on board EX recorder and the other from the HD-SDI out to the KiPro. I bumped up the contrast of the image to emphasize the difference. It's not as strong unmodified, but definitely there, more so in the shadows.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Green cast to Sony F3 footage
on Aug 11, 2011 at 1:35:19 pm

Matt,

It is true that the F3 out of the box is a little green. You'll notice it specifically when you look at a chip chart on a waveform monitor. The fix is in the picture profile>settings>white where you can offset the red and blue gains and color temperature to make a more accurate white. I have three of these cameras and they all exhibit this issue, as have others I've looked at.

JS

Return to posts index

Matt Bucy
on Aug 11, 2011 at 3:41:32 pm

I agree. But it's curious that the AJA doesn't record a green cast even though it's seeing the same image before compression, theoretically. If I offset the picture profile, it's going to throw off the AJA's image, which appears to me to be accurate.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 11, 2011 at 3:45:03 pm

I have no explanation for the difference in the subjective difference you see in the two recordings, but trust the waveform as regards the RGB gains. I would recommend you setup your camera that way. To be sure, you'll also want to check the playback of the chip chart on the waveform too.

JS

Return to posts index

fabio canale
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:09:39 pm

I came across this thread because I'm currently editing a 10-episode series for TV and its often very visible the green cast over the shots, specially on low lights or when the DP is lighting with Kino Flo.
We are recording everything on a Samurai external drive in ProRes. Anyway, it seems it is a camera issue more than a DP'ing issue

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]