FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDcards in sxs adapters not up to speed?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
the corporal
SDcards in sxs adapters not up to speed?
on Aug 8, 2011 at 3:58:09 pm

A few weeks ago i posted a problem about lost footage on an EX3 SXS card. the
company i hired the camera from hadn't sent the cards out on another hire since and i attempted to rescue the date using a card restore. no real joy but i've managed without the footage ..somehow. however the cards which were supplied in the camera were SD cards in sxs adapters. The Sandisk 32GbSD cards were only rated to 30mbps and the camera was shooting in 35mbits HQ. could this be a good reason for the footage being corrupted so often during shooting?
thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SDcards in sxs adapters not up to speed?
on Aug 8, 2011 at 4:02:45 pm

[the corporal] "Sandisk 32GbSD"

Class rating?

[the corporal] "30mbps"
30MBps more likely which is more is 2400mbps more or less.

Usually the card label only shows read times.

The camera firmware has a lot to do with this too.

I have been using Sandisk 32GB since 2009 and have NEVER lost a clip and still using firmware 1.11 on EX1.

Return to posts index

the corporal
on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:40:28 pm

Hi Craig.
Class 10, 32Gb, 30MBps Sandisk extreme cards. I was shooting 720 @50p for the whole shoot & it asked me to rstore media at least 6-7 times & i ended up loosing clips which wern't linked to their metadata. because the cards wern't rated for the 35MBps that i was shooting at i was wondering if it could be partially to blame. I don't know what firmware was on the camera unfortunatly.
thanks

G5 dual 2.5, 2.5GB RAM, 9800XT, FCP, AE, Shake = No need for home heating. 15Gb 3G ipod with 'character'

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 8, 2011 at 6:05:51 pm

Cancel, select and menu buttons to get to IC menu that shows firmware.
I've heard it descirbed as Hold down Menu+Sel/Set+Cancel buttons as well.
The first method works for me on EX1.
I believe cameras with more recent firmware may have it available in the Others menu.
Current version might be up to 1.16 with EX3.

Also card compatibility may depend on the adaptor as well.
http://mxmexpress.com/cms.php?id_cms=6

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:56:31 pm

You cannot overcrank with SD Cards. Sometimes you can squeeze a bit of footage on them. But, that's why the cards kept asking you to restore or gave you errors. They can't keep up with the 50p or 60p speed. You'll need to use the Sony SxS cards intended for the cameras and overcranking.

Even though Craig has had amazing results with his SD cards, many of us have had issues until the latest firmware upgrade was made. There are so many variables in manufacturing, that many cards didn't work with the adaptors. Most of my problems were solved after I upgraded my firmware on the camera.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:09:13 pm

Please read the above MXM link I posted

However, we have happily overcranked Class 6 memory cards from ATP, SanDisk and Patriot and all these memory cards tested to be worthy of Class 12! So there are exceptions to the minimum class requirements...

You can overcrank given the right firmware and card combination. Consider those cards "blessed" because card makers change specs and outsource manufacturing so this week's cards might work but the same cards bought next week might not. All you need to do is proper testing and make sure those "blessed" cards never leave your position as "client" media.

Return to posts index

the corporal
on Aug 20, 2011 at 8:09:46 am

Hi guys.
thanks for your responses on this thread. The general consensus seems to be that the cards are "ok" however I belive I hired the camera from a company and that camera should be able to shoot at all resolutions supported. I shot everything overcranked because it suited the project. I can see that having the cards in adapters would be fine for personal use but I don't believe they should be commercially hired out with this unpredictable setup. I think I will take this up with the hire company themselves.
thanks again

G5 dual 2.5, 2.5GB RAM, 9800XT, FCP, AE, Shake = No need for home heating. 15Gb 3G ipod with 'character'

Return to posts index

Hal Beery
on Aug 29, 2011 at 8:07:26 pm

Pardon the naive question, how do you test an SD card?
tnx,
Hal

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 29, 2011 at 8:18:07 pm

See my 2nd post on August 8 to see MXM's test results.

To test the SD cards, put in adaptor in each slot. Start recording and allow the camera to fill up both cards. If you don't get a media error message they pass test one.

The 2nd tests would be doing a series of short records, periodically deleting clips along the way. The goal is to see how they hold up as the cards fragment. Keep in mind you must wait a short bit after each stop record until the light over the slot changes (recording to card continues for a short bit after recording is stopped).

The 3rd test is setting camera to 720p24/60 for slow motion recording and allowing that to go end to end across both cards without stopping. Depending on camera firmware, some cards that are otherwise good can't be used reliably for slow motion.

If during any of these tests, the card throws a media error, then the card is not reliable. Again see MXM for their test results as it's a good guide to working cards.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 2, 2011 at 11:14:24 am

For your third test, are you talking about using the camera's Slow & Quick Motion Recording?

Or are you talking about simply recording at 720/60P?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]