FORUMS: list search recent posts

external audio feed into ex1r/not that great

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
external audio feed into ex1r/not that great
on Aug 7, 2011 at 3:58:14 am

b4 i went hd, i was shooting with a dsr300. i shoot alot of stage performances and whenever i got a feed from a board for my 300, the audio was prisine. ive shot 2 jobs with my ex1r where i needed an external feed. when i listened on the audio guys headphones the audio was very crisp, when i monitored the feed in my cam with my phones, it wasnt that great. had the xlr set on mic, putting it on line , i heard nothing,. it was alsways on mic on my dsr 300 as well.
i havent adjusted any of the audio settings, on the r,A: limiter, mic agc, agc link, theyre on the default settings. im guessing that the mic agc should be on low instead of high and this is why the audio was just ok, instead of the crisp signal im used to hearing. also, i havent messed any with the trim settings.
i never had to do anything on the 300. always had the agc on as well.
input appreciated.
have another identical shoot this weekend.
thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: external audio feed into ex1r/not that great
on Aug 7, 2011 at 10:01:34 am

Hey Jim, did we realise at the time what a great camera the DSR 300 was? Pity it was not HD and only 4:3 aspect. Can't advise on your audio problem, doubtless others will but I'm puzzled that you couldn't se the 'line' setting for the incoming signal.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:37:33 pm

Jim, I have taken board outputs for my EX-1r a number of times without issue so I can assure you that it does work. I don't remember jumping through any hoops to make this happen. I am am sure I used manual volume controls and chose line or mic based on which sounded best, mic I think.

Also, just because it sounds good on the board doesn't mean he is sending YOU a usable signal.

Return to posts index

Robert Comforto
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:31:39 pm

Jim,

I've am constantly running into distortion problems due to mismatches on feeds from audio boards where changing the line/mic settings on my camera's audio inputs does not help. My solution is to insert a Shure 15AS switchable microphone attentuator onto my camera's xlr input. You can knock down the feed from the board by either 15, 20, or 25 db which allows you to elimnate the distortion in most cases.

Robert Comforto

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:02:22 pm

I don't think it's a camera issue. Next time, take both cameras, then if you hear the same problem, plug in the other camera for comparison. Then you can eliminate at least one possibility.

I've also had issues with bad sound guys who overdrive the signal and send me a crappy distorted mix. The board headphone is what he hears, not what he sends to you.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite