FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Questions

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lorcan Mulligan
EX1 Questions
on Jul 30, 2011 at 8:09:59 pm

Hi Guys
I have got a lend of a EX1 camera and I have some questions on the camera, if anybody can provide the answers, I would much appreciate it. The questions are :

1) In the EX1 menu, there is an Audio Input section and I was wondering about Trim CH-1 and Trim Ch-2, you can set both sound channnels to -11dBu to -65dBu, what is Trim refering to ? and what level should it be set to ?

2) Also under the Audio Input section there is AGC Link, under this there is two options to set to linked or separate, what does this mean ?

3) What is the highest gain that you should operate on the EX1 ?

4) I assume that the EX1 automically outputs in wide screen

5) ATW this refer that the white balance is automatically set ?

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
Re: EX1 Questions
on Jul 31, 2011 at 1:59:31 am

The audio stuff confuses me. I leave it at the default and have never had a problem. The owners manual tells you what the default is. I do not have a camera with me me so it is hard to tell you what mine are set at.

Do you mean audio gain or video gain? I sometimes run my video at +6 gain but any higher than that I think it gets grainy.

I do not run my camera on ATW. It is very sensitive and sometimes will run two white balances in the same shot if it detects another light source. It was kinda weird the first time I saw it. Pick a good white balance and go with it. Change if you need to.

Return to posts index

Lorcan Mulligan
on Jul 31, 2011 at 11:38:43 am

Hi Bob,
I read the manual and it confuses me a bit as regards audio settings.
If you are trying to increase audio gain on the internal mic , do you do this by changing the relevent channel's audio volume between 1 - 10 ? or you do this along with additional method to increase audio past level 10

Also as regards ATW is this handy to use when you are filming in the same location (e.g. church) for a few hours but haven't got time to update the white balance ?

If anybody else wants to add any comments please feel free

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 31, 2011 at 4:14:55 pm

I agree with you that the audio settings are confusing. I have people on here explain it to me but I still don't get it. If you are using a proper mic you should be able to get plenty of audio with the defaults.

Again, the ATW is very sensitive. If you were shooting an altar in a church with artificial lighting and pan towards the window the change in color would be very obvious. I find it to be a little disconcerting. It was one of the first things I noticed about my cameras.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 2, 2011 at 7:49:27 am

Lorcan,as has been written, you won't go wrong using the default settings but here are some tips.

It's always advisable to set your white balance using a white card at your location. Store the setting in selection 'A'. If you are likely to have to move to say, another room, or go outside in a hurry, you can store the relevant balance in selection 'B'. Personally I like to select my Kelvin value by entering the figures into various Picture Profiles which you can then select instantly by using the on screen menue. I have a range of Kelvin values from 5600 for daylight, through to 3200 for normal household lighting. I can judge a suitable figure very often from the camera screen, I find it to be very accurate. To access these settings set the White Balance switch to 'Pre Set'. I never, ever use ATW.

Your audio question is trickier, as everyone writes, the manual is ambivalent to say the least. Personally I don't link the AGC for both channels as if I'm using two mics I want the two tracks to be completely separate for editing. As to gain for the video I always shoot at -3 whenever possible but in emergency have gone as high as plus 9 without any problem.

If you have time I strongly advise anyone new to these great cameras to view and digest the Vortex Media DVD workshop presented by Doug Jensen. It is all there (and I mean all) with these questions and many more covered clearly and sensibly.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Aug 3, 2011 at 12:47:05 pm

The audio trim settings are there to adjust the input levels to match various input sources. Typically, a microphone will be in the -50 range and line level (from a mixer set to line output) will be much hotter.

You adjust the level in the camera to get the best signal to noise ratio (S/N). That way you avoid unwanted distortion (input too hot for the setting) or hiss (input too low for camera setting). If your camera audio input knobs are set way over 5 or under 2 or so, the input trim may need to be adjusted. Listen with good headphones for distortion or excess hiss.

For video: I try not to shoot over +6. It will get very grainy and look horrible when encoded to DVD. I read that the -3 setting cannot record 100 IRE, but I have never checked that.

Bob

Return to posts index

Lorcan Mulligan
on Aug 3, 2011 at 5:17:45 pm

Thanks guys for your replies, but does anyone know what the AGC Link refers to, and within this link there is two options, which are linked or separate, what does this mean ? AGC link is found under the Audio Input section.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Aug 3, 2011 at 6:04:23 pm

AGC is auto gain control. By selecting link both channels are controlled by one limiter. Separate means the channels operate independently with their own limiter.

Bob

Return to posts index

Lorcan Mulligan
on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:20:57 pm

Thansk Bob, thus if you select linked you set the same gain limit for two external mics between -11dBu to -65dBu. However if you are using internal mics is there any gain setting that you can use to increase the volume ? or there is only volume control 1 - 10 for internal mics

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Aug 4, 2011 at 1:05:09 pm

Hello Lorcan. You do not select the gain level of the AGC circuit. That is done automatically in the camera. Linked means the levels will be adjusted in synchronization. In separated mode, the gain is varied independently for each channel. The trim levels are for properly interfacing the external audio source (microphone or mixer)to the camera. The EX1 built-in microphone is controlled by the volume controls or the auto circuit. There is no option to adjust the interface (trim) level. That is only for external connections. I hope that makes sense.

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]