FORUMS: list search recent posts

lost footage using xd cam import FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
the corporal
lost footage using xd cam import FCP
on Jul 26, 2011 at 8:19:45 pm

I have recently filmed a project with a hired ex3. I captured all footage from the cards out in the field on macbook using xd cam import. At a number points during filming the camera said a card had been corrupted and needed to be restored. before restoring i transferred all footage from the card to prevent loss, no errors were generated during any of the imports however i am missing 175 out of a total of 611 clips. I have the preview clips in the xd cam software but the full res versions do not exist. camera has been returned with all cards wiped..eek..have i made a big mistake?
any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: lost footage using xd cam import FCP
on Jul 26, 2011 at 8:48:51 pm

[the corporal] "I captured all footage from the cards out in the field on macbook using xd cam import."

Please explain. There is ClipBrowser, XDCAM Transfer, XDCAM Browser. One should use ClipBrowser with CRC on to ensure a good copy and then backup the BPAV folder.

[the corporal] "before restoring i transferred all footage from the card to prevent loss"
Did you copy AFTER restoring? Restoring can fix metadata issues in the BPAV.

Return to posts index

the corporal
on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:03:44 pm

Hi craig.
i was using xdcam transfer downloaded from sony. all the clips i shot are shown in the transfer preview but 175 of the full res versions are missing.
I copied before restoring because i wasn't sure if i restored it would risk loosing the data.
is this any help?
thanks again.

G5 dual 2.5, 2.5GB RAM, 9800XT, FCP, AE, Shake = No need for home heating. 15Gb 3G ipod with 'character'

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:16:33 pm

[the corporal] "i was using xdcam transfer downloaded from sony. all the clips i shot are shown in the transfer preview but 175 of the full res versions are missing."

If the clips span cards and you don't have that card loaded it won't copy and wrap those partial clips to .mov.
Always copy BPAV first with ClipBrowser (CRC ON). Then you can backup the BPAV. Then you can load all the cards and use XDCAM Transfer.

[the corporal] "I copied before restoring because i wasn't sure if i restored it would risk loosing the data."

Did you copy again after restore? If not, you copied the corrupted version and didn't copy the restored version.

Return to posts index

the corporal
on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:59:39 pm

thanks craig.
Im assuming that the full res versions of the clips i'm missing dont exist as the files were corupt and therefore not copied? I formatted the cards after i had copied the footage from them to try and sort out the reoccurring need to restore the cards. it did say the card needed to be restored on about 5 separate occasions. would this suggest the cards were faulty?

G5 dual 2.5, 2.5GB RAM, 9800XT, FCP, AE, Shake = No need for home heating. 15Gb 3G ipod with 'character'

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:11:45 am

You should have copied again after restoring.
You could check to see if there are MP4s in there that aren't being seen.

[the corporal] " it did say the card needed to be restored on about 5 separate occasions. would this suggest the cards were faulty?"
Faulty? maybe. Incompatible maybe.
If they're SXS cards you should contact Sony ASAP.

Return to posts index

the corporal
on Jul 27, 2011 at 6:34:17 am

i have searched the computer for all movie files and they don't seem to be there. I was supplied with a pair of 32Gb sd cards in a sxs adapters.
again thanks for your help craig.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 27, 2011 at 7:02:31 am

Some SDHC cards are better than others.
MXM adaptor maker has list that they've tested. Note that camera firmware version is also critical. IMHO cards must also be thoroughly tested even if on their list as things can change.
http://mxmexpress.com/cms.php?id_cms=6

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 27, 2011 at 1:02:45 pm

It is not uncommon that the camera requests the media to be restored. It does not necessarily mean that the files are corrupted. It can be a little disconcerting when it happens. In the future, just restore when it asks you too. I have downloaded thousands of files without incident except for a static electricity problem once.

Also, I tried to avoid allowing footage to overlap from one card to another. It is just a pain in the neck. I do not know if this is why you lost some clips but it could be part of it. Unfortunately shooting to card is quite different from shooting to tape. Hiring a reliable data wrangler is a good idea if you are not completely familiar with the process.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]