FORUMS: list search recent posts

Picture Profile for Chroma Key

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Bishop
Picture Profile for Chroma Key
on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:19:57 pm

Anyone have picture profile setting for a Chroma Key environment?
I have my studio setup to test. Just curious, as i'm always looking to improve the quality of they key.

Barry
Associate Web Producer/ Video Editor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Picture Profile for Chroma Key
on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:58:30 pm

One "key" thing to do is probably dial down sharpening or some might say turn it off completely.

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Jul 31, 2011 at 10:05:05 am

You can either turn detail off altogether or reduce the level a little to say -10 and then take the crispening down to -60 to increase sharpening in the low contrast parts of the image, which the EX cameras tend to blur a little by default. Too much detail level and hair and other fine detail becomes hard to key as it is surrounded by detail correction edges.

The problem with picture profiles is that there is no one size fits all set of settings and every shoot will have different requirements. If your shooting beauty shots or people for Chroma key one great trick is to turn the camera on it's side so that the person fills the frame in portrait. This effectively increases the relative resolution of the person compared to the normal landscape frame. Using tricks like this will have more of an impact than picture profile tweaks alone.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 15, 2013 at 1:56:27 pm

[Alister Chapman] "take the crispening down to -60 to increase sharpening in the low contrast parts of the image,"

First, let me say that I appreciate your research and writing. But sometimes I find it difficult to follow you. On your website you say both to take the crispening down to -60, and up to "+40 to +60".

"turn the detail level down to -15 to prevent hair from getting too blocky and crispening to -60 to sharpen up low contrast edges."

"For green screen and chroma key work I push crispening up to +40 to +60 as this helps me get a cleaner key, especially around subtle edges and hair."

I'm trying to figure out what you are saying -- can you amplify? You also point out that crispening doesn't even apply when detail is turned off - that crispening merely sets the level at which detail is applied. And, that each chroma key situation presents its own challenge, and calls for a different picture profile.

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]