FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calibrating viewer on EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob von Kreuz
Calibrating viewer on EX3
on Jul 24, 2011 at 1:10:14 pm

What is the best solution to calibrate the viewer of a EX3? I would like to make sure that the final result is at least close to what I see when shooting. I read a thread here that wasn't really helpful because they got carried away talking abut zebra and histogram...OK, color bars before you film, is there any way to save a viewer preset? I make documentaries and sometimes there's no time to adjust the viewer before starting. Why change these anyway?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Calibrating viewer on EX3
on Jul 24, 2011 at 5:42:22 pm

http://negativespaces.squarespace.com/blog/2008/6/18/hd-monitor-calibration...

Look at the ARIB bars setup in the 2nd half of the article. Use blue filter/gel as needed.

Some have found that color at something like -30 and brightness int the +25 to +31 range. Obviously some subjectivity here. Keep in mind the LCD is just for ballpark purposes and you should use histogram and zebra.

Return to posts index

Jacob von Kreuz
on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:58:05 am

Thanks for the link Craig, I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

John Mindlin
on May 31, 2015 at 9:14:11 am

Hi Craig,
That link no longer works. Could you find the time to re-post the correct one, please? I know this was a long time ago but us newbies are still searching for the answer.
Johnny

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Jul 25, 2011 at 8:39:16 am

This is a problem that I had with the EX3, inadvertantly over-exposing an interview once, which was a pain to sort out in post.

My solution is to have a card containing footage that I know is 100% correctly exposed / colour balanced (different interview footage in my case with skin tones etc). This has been checked on a broadcast monitor in the studio, so I know it's spot-on. I always keep this card (in an MxM adapter) in the camera case and before every shoot just play back little bits of the clips on the card and check that everything looks fine. I have also taped up the small adjustment dials on the back of the viewfinder to stop them getting twiddled whilst in the case.

I also have the zebras set to 75% and the histogram on for belt and braces. Yes, I know it probably seems a bit primitive, but it works for me.

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.videodvdmaker.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:55:14 pm

Having some card with footage from a properly exposed shoot won't help you expose your next shoot properly, you need to learn how to trust your judgment of exposure from using all the tools available on the camera like Zebras and Histogram and even the Auto Exposure feature on the lens, and also those from professional accessories like a professional field monitor with a Vector scope and Wave form monitor or even False Color that can help you learn to expose correctly. If you have Adobe OnLocation you may want to explore it.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/OnLocation/3.0/help.html?content=02_setup_7.htm...
After reading this it may help you understand how your viewfinder monitor should look.

As to proper expose help
I would try setting your zebras to 95 and make this the ceiling for the highs manually setting the exposure, then try zooming into just the face of the person or subject you're shooting on camera and use the auto exposure feature to see what it would set the exposure for, then zoom back out matching the manual expose framing and see how much the exposure has changed from the manual 95% zebra exposure. I'll bet you'll find this comparison to help expose properly. It is a basic way to use your camera as a light meter.

I have made my fair share of mistakes but I remember what an older DP said to me, "Everyday is a test".

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Jacob von Kreuz
on Jul 26, 2011 at 11:00:19 am

I really appreciate your time to give your perspective on this. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jacob von Kreuz
on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:59:29 am

Thanks Martin! Very nice of you.

Return to posts index

Robert Comforto
on Jul 26, 2011 at 2:14:53 pm

For consistency before each shoot I calibrate the viewfinder's brightness using the pluge bars. On the EX3 they are the 5 narrow strips located at the bottom right corner of the color bars.

When you turn up the brightness you will see these 5 narrow strips in varying shades of black and grey. Now turn down the brightness until the last strip on the right is barely visible.

Robert Comforto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]