FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDHC Cards and Adaptors

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Edwards
SDHC Cards and Adaptors
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:38:24 am

I've just acquired a PMW1 and plan to use SDHC cards in an adaptor: a site called Allmemorycards claims that "you should NOT remove the SDHC card and use a conventional memory card reader to access or transfer footage to your computer, because this will corrupt data." Instead you should buy their reader. Is their claim accurate?

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
Re: SDHC Cards and Adaptors
on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:48:39 pm

Not true. I've done it many times. In fact, I've had times when my MacPro would not see the adapters. I had no choice but to remove the SDHC card and put it in a standard card reader. No problem at all.

Rick

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:23:03 pm

Thanks, Rick. It did seem a little counter-intuitive and my trials seem to work well.

Return to posts index

Daniel Startek
on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:53:38 pm

What is a PMW1?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:33:47 pm

The closest thing I've figured is that Mr. Edwards may be referring to the PDWU1

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PDWU1/

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Jul 19, 2011 at 6:09:44 am

The camera is a PMW-EX1.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 19, 2011 at 1:48:54 pm

I have never heard it called a PMW1 (and I have 6 of them)...always an EX1r (or not r). That being said...you can remove the SDHC card and use it in a standard card reader. I only do this as a last resort if something goes wrong with my eFilms card reader, which almost never happens. I just seems a little klugy tome to remove it from the holder all the time. I don't know why. Technically it WILL work.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Jul 20, 2011 at 1:49:36 pm

I use a USB adapter all the time. Never had a problem.

Bob

Return to posts index

keith greenfield
on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:50:07 am

Dave,
I use a MacBook Pro card slot to access my SDHC BPAV and copy to HD. So far so good...
There are times when taking the camera away from a shoot is not an option. I prefer to hand off to data wrangler for copy, archive and unwrapping.
One very interesting point while in the subject of SxS SDHC adaptors and cards. I was finding that the sliding 'lock' tab was being activated when pushing the SD card back into the adaptor. Got so bad I had to superglue the thing 'open'.
Trancend cards affected..SanDisk OK.

BTW..great little tool for accessing the BPAV clips and creating very fast lo res h.264 rushes. Even full 1080 if required..ideal emergency back up.
Elgato Turbo h.264 HD
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.ht...

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Jul 23, 2011 at 4:26:28 am

Hi Keith, as a Transcend card owner I shall be vigilant,- thanks for the warning!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]