FORUMS: list search recent posts

I still love my EX-1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Dunn
I still love my EX-1
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:15:02 am

With the DSLR craze, I have and shoot on a 5D MkII and a 7D. It fits a need and gives me that cinematic look I was hoping for. But I still love my EX 1. I just shot a fashion show and the lights were all over the place. The EX 1 does so well in these situations.

I shot a concert and it blew away some of my other cameras I had to use on the shoot.

Sometimes you just have to say it out loud for everyone to hear ; ) Don't tell my wife!

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: I still love my EX-1
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:33:55 am

This is great to hear so thanks for sharing ... I run a small studio and field operation where we currently shoot everything XDCamHD with two PDW-F355's, but we also need another small cam or two and I'm thinking about EX1s or EX3s for the obvious compatibilty/workflow reasons. So, it's good to hear that they're strong cams and I'm very interested to hear from anyone with tips about either the EX cams and/or workflow in general or integrating with XDCamHD or, more specifically, PDW-F355's (in terms of matching, workflow, etc.). In other words, being that the EX cams use different codecs and media than PDW-F355's, is there really any specific advantage to sticking with the Sony line other than that they're quality products? And, are EX1s or EX3s the best route to go for smaller/cheaper add-ons to a PDW-F355 XDCamHD multi-cam setup or is there a better option to consider in a similar price range?

Return to posts index

Raja Singh
on Jul 16, 2011 at 9:22:32 am

I run 3 PDW-F335s (exactly the same as your F355s but without the under/overcranking and HD/SDI out).
We have 3x EX1 cams as backups.
They are excellent. Infact I'd say they are better, especially in lowlight. I've just bought a PMW-350 and am looking at changing from the PDWs to the PMW-350s soon.
Workflow wise, you'll match the EX1 with the PDWs with minor touch ups in post, as they both are 1/2" sensors. I use Edius and it takes both formats straight on the timeline side by side realtime with no issues.

Go for it. The EX1s are great cams.

Raja Singh
Sadha Video
UK

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:10:17 am

David & Brent, I also shoot on an EX (version 1) and cannot imagine a better camera for documentary work. It handles everything you throw at it in the way of lighting conditions, is as tough as old boots and handles brilliantly in emergency situations. I particularly like the easy access (through the direct menu) to PP's where, if you have pre set Kelvins, you can re act to light changes in seconds. The instant change from manual to auto focus is also useful without having to look down for a switch.

The picture quality is quite up to the highest standards and will certainly not suffer unduly when matched to more expensive cameras.

Well done Sony!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:55:31 am

With the EX-1 I get enough "cine look" and DOF control for what I need: I don´t think my reports on education, micro-finances or envirnment needs to lool like a feature film.
I work mostly alone and in remote areas. I need to work fast and making sure I get what I want and what I need.
I couldn´t do the same with any DSLR or even with any of the new "big CMOS" video cameras.
I love my EX-1 too.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jul 16, 2011 at 12:55:24 pm

Thanks for the good info guys.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 16, 2011 at 7:49:47 pm

[David Johnson] " In other words, being that the EX cams use different codecs and media than PDW-F355's, is there really any specific advantage to sticking with the Sony line other than that they're quality products? And, are EX1s or EX3s the best route to go for smaller/cheaper add-ons to a PDW-F355 XDCamHD multi-cam setup or is there a better option to consider in a similar price range?"
One of the best things about XDCAM is that you can edit native.
This doen´t happens with AVC stuff, which needs to be transcoded.
Also, the 10b Uncompressed output of the EX serie is unvaluable and gives you the option to record to a much better codec than the original EX codec. You can record to a NANO-flah (XDCAM-HD 422,280Mbps Intraframe), a Ki-Pro (Prores) or Ninja (Prores)

rafael

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jul 17, 2011 at 1:46:07 pm

Excellent info, Rafael, thank you.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Jul 17, 2011 at 4:49:02 pm

lovin my r as well, i just need to get some good PP. shoot alot of docs, weddings, and theatrical

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:05:04 pm

[jim stamos] "i just need to get some good PP."
Google "ex-1 picture profiles, Bill Raven, Alister Chapman, Bloom,..".
Here you can find something:

http://aamserver.dnsalias.com/basspig/PMW-EX1_PP.htm
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]