FORUMS: list search recent posts

More news from Apple at a meeting with "professionals" in London

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
More news from Apple at a meeting with "professionals" in London
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:04:41 am

1. FCP XML in/out is coming via 3rd party soon…no FCP 6/7 support project support coming ever it seems…

2. Ability to buy FCP7 licenses for enterprise deployments coming in the next few weeks…

3. FCPX EDL import/export coming soon…

4. FCPX AJA plugins coming soon for tape capture and layback…capture straight into FCPX bins.

5. XSAN support for FCPX coming in the next few weeks…

6. FCPX Broadcast video output via #Blackmagic & @AJAVideo coming soon…

7. Additional codec support for FCPX via 3rd Parties coming soon…

8. Customizable sequence TC in FCPX for master exports coming soon…

9. Some FCPX updates will be free some will cost…

_____

I'm going to check other sources. There's certainly good and bad in there but a least it's more info.

Yes btw that is FCP7 . . . available again for enterprise only.

update in "a few weeks"

Source
http://alex4d.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/notes-from-apples-london-pro-briefin...

I understand Peter Wiggins of Idustrial Revolution. was there too and may be posting info as well.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: More news from Apple at a meeting with "professionals" in London
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:29:48 am

If we hold our breath long enough there might only be that new generation of ipad users for Apple. I would hope Apple would just say what they plan to do, and would end this uncertainty.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:56:58 am

Hmm, I mean to post stuff only relevant to XDCAM here.

Tape output is relevant for those who need to go from XDCAM EX or HD to HDCAM but
3rd Party codec support probably means Sony (and Red)

but the other stuff is more relevant to FCPX specific forums.

[Michael Palmer] "Apple would just say what they plan to do, and would end this uncertainty."

I think they're beginning to talk but it's probably two weeks too late for damage control.
I would like to see native XDCAM support and Ian has provided a bit of that roadmap.

More generally I do think being able to mix XDCAM EX and other codecs in the same timeline is also important, not that FCPX is a leader in that race either.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:36:26 am

All this merely confirms my long held view that the best editing system is that of Media 100. I read the paper published on The Cow by the chap who, fed up with FCP, tried Adobe Premiere Pro and raved about it. As far as I can tell Media 100 does all he described, and a darned site easier and quicker. I shoot on an EX 1 and import my media using the EX Transfer software and edit within Media 10 in Apple ProRes 422 HQ with no problems. If you need to lay to tape that is easy too.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:36:21 pm

I didn't even know Media 100 still existed.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:34:06 pm

Bob, not only does it still exist but the many adherents who stuck with it through the bad days of ropey ownership, consider it the best there is. Bang up to date under the ownership of Boris Effects (it will even handle native Red files from the camera), it is still the most intuitive and sensibly planned editing application. Check out the site, you will be sorry you left, that is if you did, together with others who went to Apple and who are now sorry.

I hold no brief for Media 100 commercially but it saved my life when I had to leave film editing and it still sustains me.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:13:29 pm

I'll second that about Media 100 Suite. Great product. Hoping they will allow mixed codecs on the timeline eventually. That is the best feature of Premiere.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.7.1, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:26:22 pm

FCPX supports mixed codecs too. I'm hoping Sony gets native support for that in FCPX ASAP. I sometimes have to mix XDCAM EX and AVCHD/H.264 in a timeline. I'd like to avoid having to wrap EX in .mov. I won't pretend FCPX can match Media100 features (or any other professional NLE) for the moment.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Sony F3, EX1, EX3 w/DSLRs HVX200 in FCPX blog
on Jul 8, 2011 at 11:01:05 pm

I'm adding to this thread because this may include FCPX issues relevant to EX use and with a mixed codec workflow.

Sony F3, EX1, EX3 w/DSLRs HVX200 in FCPX blog
http://fcpxmegatest.blogspot.com/

It'll be interesting to see if there are any workflow issues. Note the multiple MacBook workflow they're attempting. It'll interesting to see his comments on EX workflow and mixing the codecs as well.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Sony F3, EX1, EX3 w/DSLRs HVX200 in FCPX blog
on Jul 9, 2011 at 12:25:42 am

This system of "keywords" is great if you use it well.
For many people all this will be a burden.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2011 at 1:24:06 am

Depending on how used, keyboarding (Collections) is as about as facile as bins.

You only need to keyword one clip to start the Collection and you can dump other clips on the collection and they take on the keyword. You can put the same clips in multiple collections. For example, you can have a bunch of clips as Outdoors, Interviews, 2 shots, Daytime and any given number of clips may be in more that one. You don't have to keyword each one by hand unless you're doing a lot of range keyboarding.

There's a lot of inherent metadata not being taken advantage of though, from the EX cameras. Thing of all the stuff in the ClipBrowser (that isn't in the new XDCAM Browser) that might further help organizing. I really hope Sony and Apple get this integration going but as noted in my comment, the new XDCAM Browser does not give me hope as it reveals less metadata than ClipBrowser.

Note that in FCPX, a difference between Import and Import from camera is that the latter supposedly sees and should, theoretically, take advantage of all the camera metadata which isn't part of the media file (.mp4 in this case).

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 9, 2011 at 10:47:57 am

[Craig Seeman] "You only need to keyword one clip to start the Collection and you can dump other clips on the collection and they take on the keyword. You can put the same clips in multiple collections. For example, you can have a bunch of clips as Outdoors, Interviews, 2 shots, Daytime and any given number of clips may be in more that one. You don't have to keyword each one by hand unless you're doing a lot of range keyboarding."
FCXP won't make better video editors from us, but will make professional Archivists/Documentarists.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2011 at 4:28:34 pm

[Rafael Amador] "FCXP won't make better video editors from us, but will make professional Archivists/Documentarists."

No NLE really makes one a better editor but better organized projects can make us faster. I often think of a single clip in multiple contexts and FCPX organizes that way. I like that.

It really needs to handle XDCAM EX much better though.
I should be able to use Camera Import and point to BPAV, bring in clips joined and include ALL the camera metadata. Given where Sony is with XDCAM Browser features, I honestly don't expect these capabilities any time soon though. Sony software development seems very very very slow.

For F3 (or even FS100) I'd like the lens metadata (lens type and settings) to be imported, logable, searchable. Since Apple designed an NLE which focuses on metadata both Apple and Sony should work together to take advantage of that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]