FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip Browser and FCP X

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Tompkins
Clip Browser and FCP X
on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:33:48 pm

Does Clip Browser or XDCam transfer work with FCP X?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Clip Browser and FCP X
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:22:28 pm

XDCAM Transfer does not work in plugin mode but v 2.12 can be run standalone under Leopard/Snow Leopard. Clip Browser isn't a Final Cut Pro plugin; v 2.6 remains qualified for Leopard/Snow Leopard with no further development for Lion. Going forward, XDCAM Browser will be qualified for both FCPX and Lion and will replace both XDCAM Transfer and EX Clip Browser.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:50:31 pm

That's sort of confusing. I have Transfer and Clip Browser. Is XDCam Browser different and is there a link for the download?

So how do I get an SxS card into FCP X?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:06:30 pm

The unaltered XDCAM .mp4 footage is supposed to be compatible with FCPX, meaning you can drop the clips into the program and it will display the files natively without transcoding to a .mov container. Can you not navigate to your copied BPAV folder within FCPX and import? My buddy has successfully edited XDCAM EX clips and 5D footage in the same timeline without issue. I've just never bothered to ask him with the initial procedure is since I'm not planning to get FCPX for a while.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:12:11 pm

"I'm not planning to get FCPX for a while."

Or at all for me.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:15:26 pm

Ah, Michael my good friend, never say never. Perhaps in the not too distant future Apple may discover the shining path of reason and actually make FCPX into a professional program for professionals - again, instead of an iMovie on 'roids :)

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:23:17 pm

Sure and we can start editing directly from our iphones ipads and ipods, and distribute to itunes. iwon't

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:30:41 pm

Don, I've tried getting the EX mp4 into FCPX and I get files with black video.

Apple has this
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4724
Maybe I'm missing something but all I got was black.

Note it says nothing about wrap to .mov though.
It seems XDCAM Transfer is the conduit.

XDCAM Transfer which Sony has EOL'd and is not going to be made compatible with Lion.

Even if the above works it seems like it'll only be temporary as people move to Lion.

Only Ian knows for sure but it would seem XDCAM Browser will be the conduit at some point. Having to use a conduit program in any case is still awkward.

___
I am going to give this another run through as time permits. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll expand a bit on Apple KBase if it helps. Of course someone reading this post might beat me to it so if I serve as catalyst so be it.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:39:59 pm

As I mentioned in my previous post you can use Transfer in standalone mode (the plug-in integration doesn't currently work in X) to rewrap to .mov, which is the process outlined in the Apple KB article. Will have another update shortly but for the near term at least we will be rewrapping to .mov. XDCAM Transfer is EOL but Browser will be getting some updates for plug-in integration (with X; already works with 7) and and standalone mode (currently not supported at all).

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:58:10 pm

Depressingly doesn't sound like any native XDCam file support in FCPX anytime soon

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:57:31 pm

I'll ask my buddy how he did it. He's running an iMac with Snow leopard.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:45:37 am

I bought FCP X because I would really like to take advantage of the 64 bit processing for compression. My initial impression is that it is very, very fast.

I imported .mov files from my Final cut Server using file>import. Worked very well. I was able to choose an MP4 file from an SxS card but it only imported a green screen which is not exactly what I was looking for.

My biggest problem was converting to a WMV file but i digress....

I will play more tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:52:27 am

[Bob Tompkins] "My biggest problem was converting to a WMV file but i digress...."

I can help with that bit if you need.

Flip4Mac still works in Compressor 4 in my testing. You can't do it out of FCPX directly nor even with the "use Compressor settings" option, but if you send to Compressor having prebuilt your WMV settings, that will work fine.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:42:32 pm

My Compressor skills are limited because I never used them before. Can I make a Compressor droplet with my required settings that i can use all the time?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 8, 2011 at 9:41:17 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Note it says nothing about wrap to .mov though. It seems XDCAM Transfer is the conduit."

You are correct. XDCAM Transfer is still needed to pull EX files into FCP X. My friend confirmed this and he also said that you can drop 5D footage into the same timeline and it plays flawlessly with no other preparation. Apple is supposedly bringing XDCAM EX compatibility in a "future" version.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]