FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1R white balance... cannot proceed message

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Speace
EX1R white balance... cannot proceed message
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:11:11 pm

When I use the Preset-A-B switch on the side of the camera I get a "Cannot Proceed" message. I also get this message when I throw the Shutter switch under the lens to on. With the white balance... I can still set the SEL/SET jog dial in the back of the camera and set my white balance to P, A or B. When I go into the menu and switch from MEM to ATW... nothing happens to the P, A, B switch. The switches on the side of the camera do not change the settings on the LCD screen, i.e.; W:P, W:A, or W:B... I can only change these settings with the jog dial. I am guessing that I have to send the camera back to Sony. Still, I am not without the ability to set white balance... just can't do ATW or use the switch on the side of the camera. And the Shutter switch doesn't work.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Windows 7, 64 Bit, i7 8 Core, 16Gb Ram, GeForce 4800

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: EX1R white balance... cannot proceed message
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:16:05 pm

[David Speace] "When I use the Preset-A-B switch on the side of the camera I get a "Cannot Proceed" message. I also get this message when I throw the Shutter switch under the lens to on."
By any chance do you have your camera in full Auto mode?
That case WB an Shutter will be in full Auto too.
Buttons won't override this mode.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mary Crowley
on Jul 2, 2011 at 10:28:42 am

I remember this happening to me before. I think I went into the menu and turned 'Direct Menu' off.

Hope that helps.

Mary Crowley
http://www.marycrowley.ie

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:00:25 am

I will check tomorrow to see if the Direct Menu is turned on... if it is I will turn it off... and we'll see if that was the problem! Thanks, I will let you know.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:34:00 pm

Yup, it worked... turning the direct menu off enables the White Balance switch on the side of the camera...the shutter switch also works... just wondering "out loud to myself"... is this the way it is supposed to work? Seems odd to me.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:49:59 pm

Also... one of the things I noticed about this camera is the fact that the image stabilizer can only be accessed through the menu... so every time you want to turn it off or on you have to go into the menu. The EX3 has a button on the lens, very convenient. But, with finding out why the white balance switch wasn't working... because the Direct Menu was turned on... I discovered that you can access the TLCS, Image Stabilizer, MF Assist, White Balance, Gain, and Shutter with the Jog Dial in the back of the camera (EX1R)... so this makes it convenient to quickly turn the Image Stabilizer on and off! But, you lose the ability to access the White Balance switch on the side of the camera (but you can still accessing it with the Jog Dial)... but when you turn off the Direct Menu you can't access the menu with the Jog dial... I guess this is why it is called Direct Menu. AND...really the best setting is the Direct Menu -- Part. This enables both the White Balance switch and Shutter as well as accessing the menu with the Jog Dial. So why is it setup this way?

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:31:28 pm

[David Speace] "s this the way it is supposed to work? Seems odd to me."

Yes it is. The XDCAM EX and EX3 have what's called the TLCS (total level control system) which is basically multiple iterations of an auto mode. You have to set the TLCS menu to "PART" in order for the w/b and shutter to be manually operated.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:16:52 pm

Yes, the TLCS menu setting! But, you REALLY mean that you have to set "PART" in the Direct Menu setting!

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:43:06 am

[David Speace] "But, you REALLY mean that you have to set "PART" in the Direct Menu setting!
"

Well, yeah if you're using an EX1R. Whatever works to get access again to the buttons and switches. Direct menu is what they call the TLCS system now I guess. It's basically similar to pushing the magic (auto) button on the side of the EX1R. Good in some situations buy mostly not good.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:56:59 am

No, I am definitely not in the full auto mode.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]